XP install loop

edited November 2005 in Hardware
Ok, heres me problem. Started my computer and I got an error saying there was a problem with the system file or something. No problem, I figured I'd just reformat and reinstall XP. I had backed up everything but one save game file a week earlier (I'm building a new comp in a few weeks...parts are on the way from New Egg as we speak.)
Heres where my problem started. I tried to just reinstall over my existing installation, but it locked up while "installing network" (with 32 minutes remaining.) So I reset, reformated, and tried to install again. Locked up at the same place. So I reset again. Now on start up it goes straight to "continuing installation," then shuts down, restarts, goes to continuing install, and so forth. It stuck in this loop and I can't get out of it. So far all I've been able to do is get into BIOS. Don't know much about messing with it (always been afraid to REALLY mess something up.)
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• SiggySiggy Sydney Australia
    edited November 2005
    is the pc connected to the net or another pc?
  • edited November 2005
    Siggy wrote:
    is the pc connected to the net or another pc?

Not anymore, no. I have since isolated it from my home network.
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited November 2005
    Are you using a burned copy or the original OS disc?
    edited November 2005
    OK it sounds like you havent done a complete format - it is still finding the old installation.
    Format using a boot disk - 98 or me disk works fine. after formatting - set the active partition then insert the cd and run setup - It should now go past the previous installation.
    Let us know if this solves the network problem too.
  • edited November 2005
    I don't have a boot disk. I do have an old copy of Windows 98 though. And how do I set "an active partition?"
    edited November 2005
    OK go here:

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

follow the istructions to download a 98se boot disk -

go here for great instructions on formatting the hard drive:

how to format

follow the instructions and then rerun your xp cd

good luck
  • edited November 2005
    I was able to use my old 98 disk to basically reformat and install 98. Then use XP disk to upgrade. Thanks all for the help. You guys rock
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    awesome. i was aboot to chime in but i guess its already resolved.
    edited November 2005
    CardShark, I would seriously consider starting again!!!

Most people have problems Upgrading from 98 to XP (i didnt think it was possible!)

You should format again and instal direct to XP - there is no advantage in going 98 then XP.

all the best!