Need MAJOR help - I have FUBARd my PC

SiggySiggy Sydney Australia
edited November 2005 in Hardware
OK Yesterday I turned on my PC and waited for it to start - 4 secs later screen went blank.
When i turned it on the button had "stuck" in and so had turned the pc off again.
No problem I thought! - Boy was i wrong.

Turned it on and got am immediate error that the CPU was overclocked and was now turning off.
Turned on and entered BIOS, error message saying that due to power shutdown the BIOS had reset to factory defaults and the CPU should be adjusted, went to the screen and reset the settings for my cpu, saved and exited.

Now booted past Bios - found my 2 sata drives and asked for choices on starting windows. - I have tried all choices - last known good config;, safe mode; normal restart; sfae with command prompt;
the results are always the same - PC hangs with no error message just sits and waits for - something?

When i choose safe mode it "sometimes" stops at the line
"windows\system32\config\system"
and sometimes it goes straight past and hangs at a blank screen.

Tried to boot with the windows disc in cd drive, usually hangs intalling drivers and gets no further. I am trying to get to a repair or reinstal windows screen.

Now my question is this - WTF has happenned?
Is it Windows - as it gets past BIOS ok?
Is it Hardware? if so which piece?

Please help - I dont want to reformat - there is a file on there I desperately need.

thanks guys

Comments

• ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited November 2005
    any new hardware/software?
  • SiggySiggy Sydney Australia
    edited November 2005
    No - nothing new installed - been the same config for 6 months now
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited November 2005
    Could we have some more detail on your system and harware, please?
    Moherboard, memory (how many cards), CPU, HD set-up, PSU, video, OS (Pro-Home)?

Do you get any error messages during POST at all?

You might try and see if you can run Memtest-

Get it Here

Make a bootable disk, set your PC to boot from it (if you can) and run it a couple of hours (it does everything automatically from boot). Let us know how it goes. If there is a failure, test one memory card at a time until you nail the failing board and replace it.

You might also see if there is a power supply of equal or larger rating you could try.

Hope this helps, :thumbsup:

Get back to us with some info if it doesn't- and you might want to get out your mobo user's manual if you got one.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    If you get the aforementioned error, a quick way out is

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545

:)
    edited November 2005
    OK - Quick update -
    I reset the Bios and let it load as normal instead of adjusting the time to be correct. well it POSTed and loaded and windows came up and I was able to save my work.
    BUT
    If I go into Bios and adjust the time to todays date and time It does nothing! no POST, or anything!
    What is going on!
    Should I flash the BIOS?
    edited November 2005
    Siggy wrote:
    OK - Quick update -
    I reset the Bios and let it load as normal instead of adjusting the time to be correct. well it POSTed and loaded and windows came up and I was able to save my work.
    BUT
    If I go into Bios and adjust the time to todays date and time It does nothing! no POST, or anything!
    What is going on!
    Should I flash the BIOS?

A guess-

If it can't hold settings you might need to replace the battery on your system board.
    edited November 2005
    ok time can be adjusted via windows - and it can hold that setting ok. It is only if i change something in the BIOS for example I cant adjust the CPU speed - (and I cant find out exactly what i have in there) It is an AMD Athlon XP but i am not sure what speed - however it is at least meant to run at 166Mhz, but I cant adjust it past 100, whatever I try and adjust in the BIOS the PC wont boot. I have to reset the BIOS and themn it boots into Windows, I have flashed the BIOS - same deal

Do I need a new MB?
    edited November 2005
    Siggy, did you try to replace the battery?

You may be right and your mobo is done- but 100mHz is the default reset value for your mobo- (which I found out by another means is an A7N8X Deluxe- which I also own). I think your mobo is not getting enough power to hold up your settings properly and is resetting. A new mobo battery is worth a try.

Of course, getting a new mobo is your option- but a CR2032 battery is pretty common and can be had at Walmart or its Australian equivalent for $3-4US.
    edited November 2005
    Qeldroma, Yes I did replace the battery and the same thing happenned, I am trying another battery as i type, Will let you Know how i go.

OK it doesnt seem to be the battery - 2 new batterries - same result

BUT here is the funny thing - if I change ANYTHING in the BIOS not just the CPU then it will no longer POST.
    EVEN if I go into the BIOS and DONT change anything - it will no longer POST?

WTF is going on - I have never seen this before, or heard of it before????

as an aside, how do i find out exactly what cpu i have? I have tried CPUID from amd and it tells me I have an Athlon XP and the speed it is now running at, but not what it is exactly and what speed it SHOULD be running at?
    edited November 2005
    Siggy wrote:
    Qeldroma, Yes I did replace the battery and the same thing happenned, I am trying another battery as i type, Will let you Know how i go.

as an aside, how do i find out exactly what cpu i have? I have tried CPUID from amd and it tells me I have an Athlon XP and the speed it is now running at, but not what it is exactly and what speed it SHOULD be running at?

Do you know how much cache you have and what your CPU freq multiplier and bus speed are (get them from BIOS), I can figure it pretty good.
    edited November 2005
    OK CPUID says it is an AMD Athlon XP
    Barton core A2
    L2 cache 512
    L1 cache 64
    Latency 3
    Tech 0.13u
    Model A
    Stepping 0

Multipliers in BIOS at present are 100 and 12.5 (Default)
    edited November 2005
    If the multiplier is default, it should be an AMD2800+ 333FSB Barton core. Nice, zippy proc :D

Of course, Family 7 Model 10(A) Step 0 can also be for the AMD2600+, but that default CPU multiplier is 11.5.

Also- What board Rev Deluxe mobo do you have, BIOS are you using and do you have the original Deluxe or one of the hybrids (E, etc)?
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    that sounds like my possesed pentium 3 "slot" (im not kidding, looks like agp), but yeh, its possesed. it does what it wants, and it works when it wants to. sometimes it craps out and 2 days later it'll work...i just laughed at it when i had it running. im gonna put it back together with a beefier psu to see if it fixes anything, but first i gotta get a case for it.
    edited November 2005
    Thanks
    I thought I had put a 2800 in there but was unsure,

I have no idea how to get it working at its best speed - as I cant get into the BIOS and still get to windows???

MB is Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev 2.00
    BIOS flashed to 1008-D
    edited November 2005
    OK I have changed the RAM and all is now well!!!!!

WTF haappenned???
    edited November 2005
    bad ram can cause instability. that may be the case with my pentium 3. but i dont even know if you can buy pc100 ram anymore. ;D
    edited November 2005
    bad ram can cause instability. that may be the case with my pentium 3. but i dont even know if you can buy pc100 ram anymore. ;D

Have a look here (SM thread - showing items for sale)

Might be worth an email to see? otherwise search ebay!
    edited November 2005
    his ram is sold. i think i may check ebay. im hoping i can land a sA system or even better a s754 sempron system
    edited November 2005
    I'm glad you got it, Siggy :) . I see something new unstable memory can do about once every week. But maybe this shouldn't be all that surprising since some memory failures cause the system board to go to the default reset frequency if the memory goes unstable.

I think Memtest (mentioned in post #4) would have found it. It could probably isolate which board (if you have more than one) if you test them one at a time.

Well, glad you're back up again- :D