really need help!! windows me

edited November 2005 in Hardware
my computer has went bonkers !! it was working fine last night, but when i booted it up this morning, it started. it will boot up fine, but after about 5 minutes, it plays the shut down music, and shuts itself down. then, it reboots itself!! i have shut it down manually, and left it shut down, came back in a few minutes, and it has restarted itself. when it reboots, the power on button flashes, and it acts like it is shutting down again. i am running an HP Pavilion, with an Intel Celeron processor, Windows ME. thanks for any help !!

Comments

• SiggySiggy Sydney Australia
    edited November 2005
    ok - can you boot into safe mode?

when you say it boots fine and after 5 minutes it shuts down - has it actually finished loading windows? can you access anything on your desktop in that 5 mins?
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited November 2005
    they dont call windows ME the king of BSOD's for nothing....did you have any bsods?

Just do what siggy said and try to run it in safe mode.
    edited November 2005
    Any update on this
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited November 2005
    Siggy wrote:
    Any update on this
    doesn't look like it :p
  • edited November 2005
    thanks for interest, guys!!!

in response to your question, yes, it boots up fine, i can connect to the internet, look at anything in my files, no problem. then suddenly, the weird music that plays when you shut it down comes up, and, POOF!!, it shuts down. then, it reboots itself. stays on a few, then down it goes again. i talked to a friend, and he said maybe the power supply. replaced that, same thing happens. moved it to another plug, same thing. i am at a loss. when it starts this shutting down and rebooting, you cant access anything, it is just like its caught in a loop. i have run virus scans, adaware, spybot, scan disk, disk defrag, everything i can think of, and nothing helps.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited November 2005
    checked cpu temps lately?
    edited November 2005
    When you reboot next time go into Safe mode -

we want to disable automatic restart after system failure

now i am not sure where this is in ME - try this 1st
    "Start, Settings, Control Panel, Automatic Updates, check the third setting

or these instructions for XP and i am hoping its similar

Right click My Computer and go to properties

Click Advanced Tab and settings for start up and recovery

uncheck the box for automatic restart on system failure - This will allow a BSOD or error message instead of rebooting into the loop

Or you may get an option after pressing F8
    "Your computer may restart immediately if it is configured to automatically restart when a system failure occurs. To turn off this option so that your computer does not restart, press F8 at startup, use the arrow keys to select the Disable automatic restart on system failure option, and then press ENTER. "

If you can get this turned off - Let us know what the BSOD or error message is
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    i would check and see if your hsf is spinning.

when it restarts, are you seeing a blue flash before it does so, or does it just shut down?