getting scsi cd-rom drives to be detected on boot-up

edited November 2005 in Hardware
I am trying to get my scsi cd-rom drive to be detected on the first boot-up screen so that i can install WindowsXp by "booting from cd" but my cd-rom drive isn't being detected. I have a Plextor PlexWriter writable cd-rom drive and it connects to the motherboard through a "scuzzy" card (sorry if scuzzy is mispelled). I tried going into cmos and selecting "scsi" for one of the boot devices but it still isn't detected on the first boot up screen (where it detects hard drives and such). Is there a specific option in cmos to set up a cd-rom drive that uses a scuzzy card that I am missing?

I should probably say that I have 2 hard drives. One of them has WindowsXp installed and the other was just recently formatted with an ntfs file system and doesn't have anything installed on it (not even an operating system). I am trying to install WindowsXp by "booting from cd" with the empty hard drive and scuzzy cd-rom drive hooked up. If you need any more information then please request by post. Thank you for any assistance.

Mikage

Comments

• SiggySiggy Sydney Australia
    edited November 2005
    I take it the Plextor is external - connecting through a PCI SCSI card?
  • edited November 2005
    Well the Plextor goes into one of the tower slots like floppy drives -- so that the face of the Plextor is the only part of it that shows from out of the tower -- so I don't know that it would be classified as "external". But, yes, it is connected to a PCI SCSI card that is placed in one of the motherboard slots (the Plextor and the PCI SCSI card are connected to eachother by a ribbon that has connectors that are a little bit longer than the normal IDE ribbons that connect average hard drives to motherboards). By the way, I should point out that I now have WindowsXp installed on the empty hard drive, due to the fact that I went out and bought a regular cd-rom drive -- but I would still like to know how to get the Plextor working in the way that I first wanted it to in case I eventually run across similar problems as before, but feel no need to bother yourself with the task if it will cause you "brain-strain". Thank you for the started interest, and thank you again if you find it easy to solve my problem. :)

Mikage
  • SiggySiggy Sydney Australia
    edited November 2005
    Mikage,
    Doesnt cause brain strain as i dont know the answer.

I would guess it is a setting in the Bios - dont know what mb you have or what bios you have so cant really say. I would expect you to have the latest BIOS to be sure the SCSI drive would be bootable but i am just guessing here.

anyway glad you got the pc going
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    ive never even heard of a scsi cd-rom, okay, i have, but only like once. i thought it was kind of trivial. what would be the advantages of useing a huge cable with thatmuch bandwidth for just a cd-rom?