This is my hardware:

AMD athlon XP2200
Asus A7v600-x motherboard
ADI1888 integrated audio
Sparkle GeForce 6600GT AGP 128Mb

and these are the drivers I just installed:

VIA Hyperion 4in1 v456 for motherboard
ADI Soundmax AD1888 om75 for integrated audio

As I'm experiencing Crashes to Desktop and even Reboots in games that used to play quite good, did I somethig wrong here?
I'm not an experienced user, so I really need some help 'cause I'm confused with chipset and company. I did these upgrades after upgrading to newest video driver (nVidia 81.85) as they suggested my Graphic Card would have better feeling with my motherboard...

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    did you do a reformat or something? or is this a new build?

The Nvidia 81 series drivers I have heard were causing problems in older setups... that can be the cause..? what size PSU do you have? how much ram are you running? can you give us a bit more detail on your system?
  • PapirossaPapirossa Italy
    edited November 2005
    No reformat.
    I changed my graphic card to GeForce 6600gt, then upgraded my video drivers to 81.85;
    then looked for eventual newest drivers for my chipset and integrated auido; found and installed those drivers I mentioned, which I think are the right ones; this solved a problem I had with my GeForce6600 not playing ANY video (others reported this trouble and this solution in graphic card forum)

On my system, I can add I'm running windows XP, and have 512Mb RAM. Ask if you need other info.

What issues are you referring to, about 81 drivers? Can you point me to some thread regarding this?

Thank you for your attention.
    edited November 2005
    Something else I don't understand: in my "hardware setting" my AGP graphic card is seen as a PCI! (Slot PCI 7, Bus PCI 1).

This confuses me.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    so just to clear things up in my head. your computer was working perfectly. then you put in a new video card. Then you installed the newest drivers for your video card and chipset?

This could be a heat issue, but i highly doubt it. (the video card could be getting to hot, very unlikely) does the 6600 GT have a power connector, i thought some i've seen did?, maybe not. if it does, make sure its hooked up to a pwr cable.

that brings me to another point. what brand and how many watts is you power supply?

did you restart between installing those drivers? its never been an issue for me, but it oculd be for you.

i want you to go to start>then right click on my computer>properties>advanced>startup and recovery> click on settings> and there should be a box under failure that says automatically resart. uncheck this box.

that way, if there is a stop code, you can write it down and post it here and we might be able to narrow the problem down.

let me know what happens
    edited November 2005
    My computer was working nice with my new card (6600GT, previously had an FX5200) "out of the box", so with nVidia drivers provided by manifacturer.

But GeForce6600 had a problem: couldn't play ANY video (mpeg, avi...) with ANY player (WinAmp, WMedia Player...).
    Other people reported this issue on nVidia Forum.
    They reported solving problem by updating Chipset drivers.
    Also updated to latest nVidia drivers for video card.
    So I did, with drivers I mentioned, and so the video playback problem was resolved.

BUT now I have Crashes to desktop and System Reboots with games that used to play very well. (to be prcise, I have VERY BETTER PERFORMANCES BUT CRASHES every 15/30 minutes)

And my Control Panel says that my AGP card is a PCI card on a PCI slot
    Power connector is well connected.

Power supply is 400W, and should be ok as I found on various forums before buying Geforce6600GT.

Should not be overheat, as I added a fan, and I monitor temps with Speedfan utility, and temps never go over 40°C.

I restarted between every driver installation, and previous drivers were removed.

Should I update my BIOS, since is 2 years old, and drivers are all 1-2 months old?

I did the "not restart" thingie you suggested, and let you know what happens.

Thankyou very much, for now.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    ok, so you followed typical procedure for everything.

i would say not to update your bios, because i know many people that have tried it and something went a-ry durring the flash and there mobo was then just a piece of useless pcb. of course you could try it if you want.

what brand is your power supply and what i want you to do is go into a game that causes it to crash and wait for it to and see if a blue screen comes up with a whole bunch of giberish.

up at the top or bottom, there should be a stop code. write it down, and some of the important looking jargon throughout the expanation. If this happens we might be able to figure out what happens. but for right now. it could be a number of things.

EDIT // by the way, welcome to the site. hope you'll stick around.