No Post, No Beeps

edited November 2005 in Hardware
Hi all,

Serious dilemma going on! Hope someone can advise ...

I recently purchased a new system and installed it all - worked fine, no problems:

Sempron 3300+ 64 bit
Asus K8N-E Deluxe
2 x Corsair 512mb
Ati Radeon 9800 pro 128mb
120GB IDE Hard Drive

Then, I tried a little overclocking, pushed the CPU up to 2.6Ghz which it didn't seem to mind for a short while. Went back into the BIOS and changed some memory timings (changed to 2-2-2-5), and bumped up the CPU and Memory voltages a little.

Pretty soon the computer restarted of its own accord, and a voice told me the CPU was overclocked too much. I went back into the bios, knocked the FSB down to 255mhz (from 266 IIRC) and restarted. The computer, during boot, gave an error message (something about the bios), and asked for me to insert the Motherboard CD, so that it could find the file it needed to repair. I did, and it didn't find the file. So I went online, followed a few instructions and wrote my own CD with what I believed was the correct file.

This seemed to be working as it started to flash or fix (or something) the bios. It suddenly restarted whilst doing this, and from that point then, every time I tried to boot I would only get a blank screen. The HDD light would come on, and everything just sat there with fans whirring.

I figured that i'd had a bad flash, so ordered another bois chip which arrived just now with the bios version 1011 pre-installed. I removed the supposedly faulty bios chip with a PLCC removed and pushed the new one in.

Now, when I power on, the computer appears to restart in a never ending loop. There is no monitor output as before, but the cd drives continuously search for media, as if it is turning itself on and off continuously.

I have replaced the graphics card with one that I know works, removed and replaced memory (in different slots), removed all un-necessary PCI cards and tried clearing the COMS with the jumpers, all to no avail.

Any help would be massively appreciated - both by me and by my tutor who is expecting a typed essay that is sitting on the PC!

Cheers,

Al.

Comments

• edited November 2005
    I should add that the green light is on on the motherboard, and the PSU is a 500 Watt one.

Al.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Unfortunately, it sounds like a bad BIOS flash to me. There are a few options:
    1) RMA
    2) hotflash
    3) buy a new one

You're probably eligible to RMA it, since technically you were following the directions. I'd follow up on that before I'd try something warranty-voiding like a hotflash. Good luck.
  • SiggySiggy Sydney Australia
    edited November 2005
    Sounds exactly what is happenning to me right now - Asus A7N8X Deluxe - Try removing the battery, reset the BIOS and then restart, IF it asks to F1 to continue or del to enter setup, press F1 and hope it boots into windows, get your essay and then try and fix it. (the MB not the essay - which i am sure is distinction quality )

Failing that remove the HD and attach to another PC get your essay and then throw the old Motherboard out of the window! (you dont have to do the last bit!)

Good Luck - this is frustrating the hello out of me
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited November 2005
    Yeah I'm sure you messed it up while flashing it. I will never flash anything again myself because I once broke an MP3 player while trying to flash the firmware. I got it replaced easily, but I don't want to risk something bigger.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    hmpf..an i tried to do a little updating on my sony microvault and from then on i everytime i stuck it in a computer it would say no disk in drive. and its capacity was listed as 0 kb. im sure a lot of people flash firmware and bios fine. but i seem to have bad luck at that stuff.