Laptop Boot Up Problems, Please Help!

edited November 2005 in Hardware
My Tosh Satellite Centrino M30 laptop (with 2 HD drives) is not working after I updated it with the MS security updates, it doesn't boot up XP and gives the following:

The laptop makes a clicking sound and gives me the message:

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM
Operating system not found.

I changed the boot order from the BIOS to: CDROM. And choose exit and save changes.
Inserted my Toshiba version of recovery windows XP which allows me the option of
''1. Recover entire Hard disk'' or '' 2. Expert Recovery mode'' or also ''Exit''
I chose ''1. Recover entire Hard disk'' as I'm no expert (as you can tell!)

I then get a load of diagnostic checks run by the laptop and it then finally shows on screen :
X:\\ no fixed disk

soembody said that the X:\ is my CD/DVD_ROM drive.

I ideally want to repair and keep the stuff I have on my HD drive.

Your help is much appreciated!
S.

Comments

• edited November 2005
    Also Im pretty sure it's not a faulty HD as it appears on the bios screen after CD-ROM to boot from.
  • gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited November 2005
    the clicking gives it away, more then likely the HD is bad
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited November 2005
    gibbonsl wrote:
    the clicking gives it away, more then likely the HD is bad

agreed. Sounds like a hdd failed. just a coincidence that you updated right before hand. Mine did the same thing on my compaq nx9010. I did a clean install and was going to image it and it got real flakey and started clicking. I had the company get me a new drive, a 40gig 7200rpm hitachi drive, and 1 gig of ram while they were at it. My laptop is now on par with my home pc.
  • SiggySiggy Sydney Australia
    edited November 2005
    That error message is basically saying it cant find the hard drive, I had exactly the same problem with a client who had recently changed their hard drive, When they changed the Hard drive a fault must have occured with the connectors, It showed up as an intermittent fault but finally died. replaced the hard drive and everything was fantastic.

definately ask for a replacement drive.