Opteron 146 - Finally got an AMD cpu to hit 3.0ghz

JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
edited November 2005 in Hardware
Finally got my Opteron 146 last weekend & got time to install & rebuild my gaming rig, complete with tec cooled Saphire X800 GTO2.

The temp shown by rivatuner is with the tec unplugged. Plugged in it's -8c no load, 13c under heavy load. :eek:

The stepping of the Opteron is CABYE 0540FPAW

opty_oc.jpg

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    aren't they oc'ing that core to 3.6ghz or something obscene like that?
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited November 2005
    A couple of the early ones had gone nearly that high under extreme phase cooling. 2.8-3ghz is more normal.
  • edited November 2005
    Damn, those are some nice numbers, Jim! :thumbsup:
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    That's some nice numbers Jimmy. No problem with 300 htt 1:1? memorycontroller is ok?
    edited November 2005
    MackanzOCZ wrote:
    That's some nice numbers Jimmy. No problem with 300 htt 1:1? memorycontroller is ok?

To be honest I haven't tried it yet as the highest my Patriot ram would previously go was 290fsb on my old MSI K8n Neo2.

I've yet to find any good info on my new Abit A8N Ultra so I don't have much clue about all the timing options & this is my first NF4 board too. :) Also I don't seem to have much time for o/c'ing these days so if you've got any tips they'd be much appreciated.
    edited November 2005
    This is for the AN8 SLI which should be the same. TCCD:

In Advanced BIOS Features

HT Frequency 4 (The External Clock X HT Frequency must equal 1000mhz or less. In this case, 4 X 250mhz = 1000)
    HT Width: 16 16
    SSE/SSE2: Enabled
    System BIOS Cachable: Disabled

In Avanced BIOS Features/DRAM Configuration

DDR 400
    CAS (tCL) 2.5
    Row Cycle (tRC): 11
    Row Refresh (tRFC): 14
    RAS to CAS (tRCD): 3
    RAS to RAS (tRRD): 3
    Min RAS Active (tRAS): 8
    RAS Precharge Time (tRP): 3
    Write Recovery (tWR): 2
    Write to Read (tWTR): 2
    Read to Write (tRTW): 3
    DRAM Command Rate: 1t
    Burst Length: 8
    32 bit Dram Memory Hole: Auto (disabled is fine for all 90nm cores)
    MTTR: Continous

In OC Guru

CPU Operating Speed

External Clock: 250mhz
    Multiplier Factor: 7 for all testing, set as desired after memory has proven stable.
    PCI-e Clock: 100mhz

Voltage Control

CPU Core: 1.5v (You may run this higher or lower as you require. A bump in voltage will opften help stabilize your CPU's memory controller.)
    DDR SDRAM: 2.80v (2.7-2.9v may work for you. More voltage is not always better. TCCX memory does not normally require above this range to hit maximum speeds. Often 2.65-2.7v may work fine.)
    DDR VTT: DDR/2
    nForce 4: 1.7 (1.6v-1.7v)
    Hyper Transport: 1.3v
    DDR Ref: Default
    CPU Ref: Default

This only at 250 but you can always change that. Do you use 4X512? If so, you need to use 2T, but you know that already. 4X512 may also have a huge impact on the memorycontroller.
    edited November 2005
    You da' man Marcus :thumbsup: I'll try this out tonight

Actually my sig is not up to date in that I'm only running 2X512 at present. :)

Thanks

Jim
    edited November 2005
    Ok well I tried those settings at 300fsb but it was a no go with my Patriot XBLK. Tried slackening the timings even further & playing with volts. I even reduced the fsb to 290 & it still failed prime even though it passed at this level in another board. Obviously the board doesn't like this set.

Then I remembered I had another set which I hadn't ever tested, I had rma'd them months ago. Stuck them in, in slots 3 & 4 and it looks like it's prime stable @300fsb at the following settings:

DDR 400
    CAS (tCL) 3.0
    Row Cycle (tRC): 12
    Row Refresh (tRFC): 15
    RAS to CAS (tRCD): 4
    RAS to RAS (tRRD): 4
    Min RAS Active (tRAS): 8
    RAS Precharge Time (tRP): 4
    Write Recovery (tWR): 2
    Write to Read (tWTR): 2
    Read to Write (tRTW): 3
    DRAM Command Rate: 2t
    Burst Length: 8
    32 bit Dram Memory Hole: Auto
    MTTR: Continous

Yeah I know these are very loose timings but I need a stable place to start & then I can try & tighten things up a bit. Mainly get them to run at 1t. Anyways I'm happy with tonights work :)
    edited November 2005
    With that cpu power, looser timings doesn't make so much difference actually. As the cpu scales in speed, the memorycontroller performs better and better. I think you got yourself a fine rig there. Be prepared for a nice 2Gb kit soon though :D
    edited November 2005
    Hmmm I happy with 3ghz @1:1 ratio. ;)

Gotta say this second set of Patriot XBLK has been a bit of a revalation, I had no idea I had such a good set sitting on my shelf.

Mack, thanks for all you help, can't wait to see what the OCZ 2gig kit can do, should get here Monday or Tues. I've also got a gig of new TwinMos Speed Premium BH-5 to try out as well.

opty-300fsb-1_1.jpg
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited November 2005
    Nice Chip Jim!

I just bit the bullet and ordered an Opteron 148. Hopefully I will get a similar stepping. It will be nice to finally have a processor with a decent memory controller.. my Winchester has been irritating me since day-1, and I've never been able to take advantage of my OCZ Rev.2 TCCD.

Glad to see you got your TEC back on your GPU! How is that GTO2 liking the low temps? What have you been able to squeeze out of the gpu/mem?
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Is that the an8 or the lanparty?
    edited November 2005
    Thanx lemon, the GTO2 seems to like low temps alot better than the 6800nu did. So far I've had it up to 590 on the core & 610 on the mem but haven't really it pushed/tweaked it yet. I certainly won't be doing a volt mod on it like I did with the 6800 as that's what killed it in the end. :(

csimon, this is all on an AN8 Ultra which I got 2nd hand, couldn't afford a lanparty. I've got to say I really like this board & I think it shows a real return to form from abit.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    that is a 939 chip correct? how is your performance over a Athlon 64 4000+? I'm guessing it is running mor elike a FX 57?