Http Server On Dynamic Ip?

airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
edited November 2005 in Hardware
Is it possible for me to set up a computer to run an http server on a dynamic ip, ive heard of it. but never really seen anything explaing how to do it.

also, how do you think a p3/600 with 256 mb of ram would do, just for a 2 or 3 clients accessing it at the same time.

would this be feasable? if i did it, what would be the best os to run it on, i was thinking linux, or unix, or would windows do better? :confused:

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    question 1:
    http://www.no-ip.com/

2:
    dunno

3:
    sure. linux w/ apache. (assuming you have some idea of how to use linux)
    edited November 2005
    You can get a free redirection (I use it for the smxstats server). You register {choose_a_name}.{no-ip.com | redirectme.net | other}. It automatically redirects the person to your server.
    edited November 2005
    edited November 2005
    did you read the no-ip page? You can have no-ip automatically change the port. I had to change to port 8080 when I was running the server at home. You just need to tell apache to listen on the different port as well.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    No one RTFMs any more.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Airborne: Stop asking questions that are already answered on that site.

Running a site on a dynamic IP address isn't the best idea because things such as SpamAssassin flag the emails with a higher probability of them being spam due to them being send from a dynamic IP. Most ISPs here charge an extra "£4.99" a month for a static IP anyway, so it's not just your ISPs that do it.

That machine will be fine.

I wouldn't recommend Linux unless you know what you are doing as it will take quite some time to set up properly if you don't.