recovering/editing a drive image

edited November 2005 in Hardware
I'm a newbie but know enough(or not enough) to be dangerous around a computer. I recently had a partitioned (3 parts) slave drive pooch on me and corrupted the MBR. Got a recovery program from Lsoft and was able to make an image of each partition and and was able to simply copy the 2nd and 3rd parts to a DVD. I've since formatted the drive and repartitioned. Now I'm trying to recover the data from the image of the 1st partition but that corrupted MBR seems to be giving me problems. Can I open the image and delete the MBR data with an edit program and if so any suggestions on an edit program that would be best at this? Thanks Docschmo

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Let me warn you that repairing a Master Boot Record can only be done in Hexadecimal unless you have a program that can read the data and rebuild it. I do not know of a good current program for that which is automatic.

The only quick thing I know to try, if this is XP, is
    fixmbr
    for your slave drive only in recovery console from an XP install CD boot.

When done, run chkdsk /r on the same drive, from recovery console.
  • edited November 2005
    Thanks Straight_man

Didn't know about fixmbr until after i'd created a drive image image and reformatted the drive. Guess it pays to read read read.

I'm not actually trying to repair the MBR in the drive image. I'm hoping to be able to delete the MBR data from that image, thus leaving me with an image containing only the folders and files I had stored on that partition. Since I've reformated the drive I assume it now has a new MBR on it.I assume the revised drive image I want to create will be readable and restorable. I may be wasting my time

Can you delete the MBR data in a drive image file using hexadecimal? Don't care about automatic - Manual is fine, if I can recover any of the data i'll be happy.Thanks Docschmo