cannot even load XP

edited November 2005 in Hardware
Hello Gents
I'm a first time builder using:
AMD Athlon64
Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra-9
1Gb Corsair DDR
Seagate 200GB SATA HDD

I am using one hard drive only not a RAID system.....
I tried to install XP home, seemed to go OK, formed a partition on hard disk, got as far as saying 'remove any floppies- (there weren't any)...system rebooting' ..... and off it went again over the same ground... obviously had not seen the hard drive on restart....until it reached the partition section when it announced that there was already XP installed there.
Went to the BIOS and no HDD there...tried autodetecting.no HDD found.

I have tried removing the partition,and deleting to start again with same result. After re-reading the motherboard manual it seems as though I should have installed SATA drivers first (via F6) with software obtained from theNvidIA nforce4 series utility CD (supplied) (copied on floppies from my old system)...I tried this, as well as swopping the SATA cables and sockets (there are 8 to choose from, 4 red/4 yellow)...still no hard drive detected, and now it doesn't get to the hard drive partition section (if I go via the F6 route)

HELP PLEASE!!
THANKS
John

Comments

• edited November 2005
    :thumbsup:

SOLVED THE PROBLEM AT LAST.... entered BIOS and DISABLED IDE/SATA RAID function...... no need to enter drivers from F6...XP loaded OK....hope that this helps others..... :p

jetstuff wrote:
    Hello Gents
    I'm a first time builder using:
    AMD Athlon64
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra-9
    1Gb Corsair DDR
    Seagate 200GB SATA HDD

I am using one hard drive only not a RAID system.....
    I tried to install XP home, seemed to go OK, formed a partition on hard disk, got as far as saying 'remove any floppies- (there weren't any)...system rebooting' ..... and off it went again over the same ground... obviously had not seen the hard drive on restart....until it reached the partition section when it announced that there was already XP installed there.
    Went to the BIOS and no HDD there...tried autodetecting.no HDD found.

I have tried removing the partition,and deleting to start again with same result. After re-reading the motherboard manual it seems as though I should have installed SATA drivers first (via F6) with software obtained from theNvidIA nforce4 series utility CD (supplied) (copied on floppies from my old system)...I tried this, as well as swopping the SATA cables and sockets (there are 8 to choose from, 4 red/4 yellow)...still no hard drive detected, and now it doesn't get to the hard drive partition section (if I go via the F6 route)

HELP PLEASE!!
    THANKS
    John
  • SiggySiggy Sydney Australia
    edited November 2005
    Well done John!!!! :thumbsup:
  • edited November 2005
    Thanks Siggy....I assume I'm right when I say that the SATA controller chipset drivers are not needed?? as the system seems to be running OK now?
    There is a facility in the Gigabyte manual for updating the BIOS through a download.... are there any good reasons to do this? or is it better to leave well alone!

John