xbox on pc monitor using component cables?

tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
edited November 2005 in Hardware
Hey, I was just messing around with my pc and stuff, and I realized that my videocard, ATI x800XL, has an S-video input. It came with an adapter so that i could plug component cables into it, and also audio. So i just realized, if i buy component cables for my xbox (the red, green and blue ones, not yellow, red, and white), will I be able to plug my xbox in and set it to some other hd mode? I have a decent lcd monitor, which is 17", not widescreen though.

When I open up the ATI TV program from ATI media center, it says S-Video Connection, but I dont have any component cables to test wheter or not my xbox will work with it. I'm assuming it will because it plugs in and fits perfectly, but I just want to see what you guys think before i spend $20 on cables. If it does work, can I set the xbox in an hd mode?

Comments

• tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited November 2005
    ok well put it this way, do you think I can even get a signal to my monitor from the xbox using s video through my x800xl?
  • JChretienJChretien Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited November 2005
    I've used my playstation on a PC with a 9800pro VIVO... no problems there.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited November 2005
    tmh88 wrote:
    ok well put it this way, do you think I can even get a signal to my monitor from the xbox using s video through my x800xl?

If your cards a vivo you should have no problems.

If you have no idea what vivo is you wont beable to do it.
    edited November 2005
    yea my card has vivo, heres a link to it. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102542
    edited November 2005
    Ok i figured out the sound, but now i cant get any video to my monitor. I'm using ATI TV and it wont give me video. I have my stereo speakers hooked up, so i can hear that and i know the xbox is working. Any advice from people who have used the s video in?

here is the connection im using to get video to my computer
    cables.3.jpg
  • MadballMadball Fort Benton, MT
    edited November 2005
    Did you make sure your ATI TV software is set to S-video or Composite and not Cable?
    edited November 2005
    Madball wrote:
    Did you make sure your ATI TV software is set to S-video or Composite and not Cable?

yea im 100% sure

and also should I be using ATI TV or some other program. What other programs will allow me to hook up my xbox using the svideo input that are 3rd party?
    edited November 2005
    I just tried switching between svideo and component cables while having ATI tv open, and it doesn't make a difference. My xbox's front lights are solid green meaning that it is getting a signal, otherwise it flashes orange/green meaning no A/V input. So it obviously knows that its connected to something, but my pc isnt seeing it. someone please help. any advice would be great.

:cheers: