edited November 2005 in Hardware
right now i mu current specs are
a64 3200+ (90nm)
1gb kingston hyperx pc4000
asus a8n-sli deluxe
160gb seagate sata
3x 250gb maxtor
pny 6600GT

I just got my hands on a good deal of an intel board and a p4 820 dual-core. Should i keep it as my main system or should i maybe just look at upgrading my cpu and stay with mostly my current setup? Also if i just upgrade my cpu whats a good step up x2 or maybe the new 939 opteron's. I mostly surf, mp3's, some light photo editing, convert a few movies here and there,i also try to keep up with the current games but always find myself behind

Comments

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Re-sell the new hardware so as to profit enough for maybe upgrading your CPU and vid card. Or maybe keep the new stuff and just put it to work folding x2. ;)
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    yeah what mtgoat said. Look into the operton 165 and 7800gt.
  • BudBud Chesterfield, Va
    edited November 2005
    so the new operton's are a better way to go than an x2?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    One of the 939 Opterons, I can't remember the model, is only about $300 and will do 2.5GHz on air cooling very easily. It's the Venice 3000+ of the dual-core world, and is really a fantastic chip. If you're in to overclocking (AKA saving mucho $$), I would highly recommend you explore that route as opposed to the expensive X2 chips.
  • BudBud Chesterfield, Va
    edited November 2005
    i dont mind oc'ing ill prob have to get new memory cause mine sucks for overclocking. I do want a quiet machine though cause im so tired of loud computers. I had a tornado on my old 2500+ and when i went to my amd64 i was like i want quiet so im stock speed and stock cooling.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Bud wrote:
    so the new operton's are a better way to go than an x2?
    the new 939 pin 165-170-175-180 opertons are dual core ...with the 2gb L2.
    Check out this article ...http://www.amdzone.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=200&page=1

"That puts the $290 CPU at 200MHz slower than the Athlon 64 X2 3800+, but with a full 1MB of L2 cache versus 512kb per core."

"So lets take a look at our 165. We see this is a week 34 CPU which puts it at a packaging date of August so it is a couple of months old. OSA165DAA6CD shows that it is an Opteron 165 dual core Toledo code model with 1MB of L2 cache per core. CCBWE is the batch code which is what you want to look for when identifying what stepping CPU you are getting. This code is equivalent to many Athlon 64 X2 4400+s we have seen online, and it shares its specs minus some MHz. This is a 90nm part with an E6 stepping like the 4400+."

Omega has a thread comparing the L2 cache effect on folding ...you won't be dissapointed here! :fold: