Asus A7N8X mobo not booting after bios change!

SquillSquill Chesterfield, Va
edited November 2005 in Hardware
Okay so I've been running my computer for alittle over 1 year now and I noticed that the CPU I have can run at 333mhz fsb. And for my new dual channel memory to run at 400mhz i needed to change the cpu from 133 (which it was currently running) to 333mhz. So I went into bios and manually set it at 333mhz fsb speed and changed the memory to 400mhz. So I save the changes and quit. WHen trying to boot up nothing happens, no post beeps nothing. The only thing that happens is my activity led is constantly lit on the front of the case. Now I've tried clearing the CMOS and that didn't seem to do anything and I've tried putting in a new cpu to see if maybe I fried my cpu but alas nothing. This week has not been my lucky week when it comes to computers! :(

Comments

• SquillSquill Chesterfield, Va
    edited November 2005
    Okay I got it working but I cant run it at 333mhz FSB without problems :(
  • edited November 2005
    Are you talking about 166 fsb perhaps? Remember that an AXP's effective speed is double the actual fsb speed. Also, what processor are you running in your board? Is it locked or is it an older AXP or an XP-M?

As for actual fsb speed on an nf2 board like your Asus, you will be very lucky to get it stable at anything over about 225-230 fsb speed.
    edited November 2005
    ah that could be my problem this is the CPU I have...Athlon XP 2200+ Thoroughbred 266MHz FSB
  • edited November 2005
    Can you lower the multiplier? Also, is it a Tbred "A" or Tbred "B" version? That makes a lot of difference in overclocking it. If it's a Tbred A, you will have much problems getting it up to a 166 fsb due to it using a 13.5 multiplier on that Asus board. The lowest multi you can run on that Asus board is a 13 with that processor unless you do some mods to the multi's on the proc itself.

If you don't know if it's a Tbred A or Tbred B, then post a screenshot of your cpu-z.
    edited November 2005
    Yeah I have no idea if it's an A or B. I looked at the Asus website it said to run the memory at 400mhz I need to set the memory frequency with the type of cpu I have to 150% but even then I only get about 267mhz out of my memory. All I'm really trying to do is get my memory to run at 400mhz blah.
  • edited November 2005
    Try dropping the multiplier down to 13 and upping the fsb to around 150 and see what you end up with. That should put the proc running at 1951 MHz, so you might have to bump up the vcore a bit to get it stable. Leave your present memory setting where it is.

BTW, I'm pretty sure that's a Tbred A, which don't overclock as well as a Tbred B. However, I think the above speed should be doable.