an interesting problem

mondimondi Icrontian
edited June 2003 in Hardware
I just bought a new asus a7n8x (rev 2.0) and barton 2500+, i was very happy with my old one (1.04 with 2500@2200 ... going to my little brother) and in the spirit of the occasion grabbed myself some hyperX 3500-- 2*512 ....

incidentally if anyone wants to send me money for food .... :)

ive had some interesting results

my old setup - 1.04, 2500+, 11*200, corsair 2700

new - 2.0, 2500+ 11*200, hyperx 3500

heres where its weird, both systems are ROCK solid, every test i can throw at them is no problem, runs for hours/days ...

however..

after my first reboot in days ... the new system didnt post, ... i shut it down and waited a few minutes, and then it posted but didnt boot windows... after checking all connections etc i started again,,,, booted fine... let F@H run for a few hours and shutdown --- again .. no post... .repeat ad infinitum

Im absolutely confused, its running fine now (posting this + running gromacs + recompressing a vid file in tmpgenc) and im gonna leave it going for a couple of hours and check if it can boot again ...

has anyone else experienced this ?

incidentally a few times i let it post with the asus "default" options which give me an 1100 Mhz athlon and even then it wouldnt boot....

I is the confused ..

Comments

• Bad_KarmaBad_Karma The Great White North
    edited June 2003
    That is an interesting problem. What nforce driver are u using? Do you have the lastest bios for the board installed? You can also test the ram with memtest. It works great and will find faults if it's your memory is at fault.

I can't remember the link to get memtest. Hopefully you have it but I'm sure one of our fellow friends here would be happy to pass you the link.
  • mondimondi Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    just finished 2 passes of memtest with 0 errors, 2 reboots to get windows running ...

im going to leave F@H + tmpgenc running and report back after finished encoding or finished WU,

bios is 1005 final from asus (never had the balls or the expendable income to go with the uber releases)

nforce driver is 2.03 (uninstalled 2.41 after reported problems)
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited June 2003
    Just a thought - Switch memory between the two systems see if the problem follows the HyperX stick
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Didnt Nforce 2 have som problems with the Hyper X 3500? Im pretty sure i saw that somewhere. Im gonna dig a little.
  • mondimondi Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    hmm, ill try that when i get home later tonight, plus ill dig into the nforce issue, will report back soon....
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited June 2003
    Mackanz said
    Didnt Nforce 2 have som problems with the Hyper X 3500? Im pretty sure i saw that somewhere. Im gonna dig a little.

Some Nforce2 mobos had problems with the SPD setings of PC3500 memory. Use manual settings.
  • mondimondi Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Corsair ram is having the same problems, however ive just spent the last hour reading the asus forum on nForceshq and it seems alot of people have been having probs with the 1005 bios, my 1.04 is on 1004 and loving it, im gonna flash the bios right now and check it out ... thanks for all the help so far, again, ill report back when ive tried this out.
  • mondimondi Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    alrighty, posted and booted on the first try (200*11) ... gonna leave it running now to check stability ... if it all works out then im gonna see if i can push it further :) even now under load mbm reads a nice cool 39 degrees celsius... once again, thanks for all the help
  • Bad_KarmaBad_Karma The Great White North
    edited June 2003
    Glad to see its up and running!
  • TiribulusTiribulus HOCKEYTOWN USA
    edited June 2003
    Just to chime in here, this won't help you with solving the issue, but Abit boards through several VIA chipsets have occasionally done to me exactly what you describe.
    >>>--Tiribulus-->:D