Settings to maximise output

EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
edited September 2003 in Folding@Home
Just been trying to see what settings are best for my machines and which switches and settings have to be used with each.......

It's 2 AXP's and a P4.

Do they all need -advmethods and -forceasm on? (I'm guessing the P4 doesn't need the second one).

Also what should I set for the preference? fah or gah?

Cheers,
NS

Comments

• RiddickRiddick Malaysia Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    the AXPs should have client 3.25 with both flags whereas the p4 should run 3.24 client with -advmethods (add -forceasm if u frequently like to randomly reboot your pc :D)

oh yeah forgot to say that the -advmethods tag overides the fah or gah preference, and u'll only be getting beta WUs
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Which is better for point output? fah or -advmethods, because atm my points have dropped insanely and I am getting WUs that take years and that I get nothing for......

NS
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Is advmethods really bad for p4's? I have a hyperthreading system running both a console and graphical with the advmethods and have no problems with it. It's been up for over a week and a half so far.
    edited September 2003
    for anything that uses SSE optimizations(p4, p3..) should definetly have the -advmethods tag as they cannot utilize 3dnow optimizations that AMDs chips do with normal tinkers

however amds do still see a point increase with -advmethods tag, tho not as much as compared from a p4 switching to -advmethods (make sure 3.25 client for amds)
    edited September 2003
    DanG said
    Is advmethods really bad for p4's?

on the contrary its actually :thumbup :vimp:
  • MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
    edited September 2003
    Riddick said
    the AXPs should have client 3.25 with both flags whereas the p4 should run 3.24 client with -advmethods (add -forceasm if u frequently like to randomly reboot your pc :D)

oh yeah forgot to say that the -advmethods tag overides the fah or gah preference, and u'll only be getting beta WUs

3.25, -advmethods -forceasm will yield the highest points for AMD procs that support SSE. (Some people have experienced lockups with some AMD procs when using SSE) If you experience lockups, remove the -forceasm flag and it will use extra 3dNow! boost instead of SSE.

3.24 or 3.25 w/ -advmethods will yield the highest points for Intel procs that support SSE.

p.s. -advmethods does not mean you will only get beta work units. :)
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited September 2003
    Bill has it right on the nose. The WUs are still beta and not all of them are out to the general public. Some are but some can only be gotten with advmethods.
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    what does -forceasm do? I noticed something above about if you reboot your PC? I've been getting very large WUs that take like FOREVER to finish (2,500,000 steps) and I've lost one our two over the past couple weeks because my comp froze while I was in the middle of a game or something and when I restarted, it was back at 0. will this fix it?
    edited September 2003
    Camman said
    what does -forceasm do? I noticed something above about if you reboot your PC? I've been getting very large WUs that take like FOREVER to finish (2,500,000 steps) and I've lost one our two over the past couple weeks because my comp froze while I was in the middle of a game or something and when I restarted, it was back at 0. will this fix it?

Forces 3DNow! on 3.24 client and forces SSE on the 3.25 client.

NS
    edited September 2003
    so....I have 3.24 w/ an AthlonXP 2100+ .... do I wanna use it

^ I still am teh folding newb
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    yes u would wanna use both,
    -forceasm
    -advmethods
    edited September 2003
    Camman said
    so....I have 3.24 w/ an AthlonXP 2100+ .... do I wanna use it

^ I still am teh folding newb

You want both, but you also want to use the 3.25 client to get the SSE boost too.

NS
    edited September 2003
    where do I get 3.25 for windows? I only see it for OS X on this page..

http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/download.html

update: nvmd, I found it in the everything about thread, haha I feel like such a n00b :D
    edited September 2003
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited September 2003
    Okay, someone want to explain all this -xxxxxxx, stuff to me? Like where options like that are? I've been reading about all this stuff for weeks now, and I am still none the wiser.

Someone care to enlighten me.
    edited September 2003
    Ok, I know this is the third time I have writen it this week, but nevermind.

Usage - When in the shortcut command line -
    "X:\Path\to\FAH.exe" -switches

-advmethods
    Downloads Beta work units which are normally worth more points but are potentially unstable.

-forceasm
    Forces 3DNow! boost on the 3.24 client and the SSE boost when using the 3.25 beta client.

-betateam
    To be used by beta-team members for special and most likely HIGHLY unstable work units.

NS
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited September 2003
    Now I get it, thanks for clearing that one up for me.

Cheers
  • CaffeineMeCaffeineMe Cedar Rapids, IA
    edited September 2003
    How do I mod FireDaemon to launch the FAHbeta client WITH the two flags? Tried adding them to parameters, just ended up w. errors.
    edited September 2003
    CaffeineMe said
    How do I mod FireDaemon to launch the FAHbeta client WITH the two flags? Tried adding them to parameters, just ended up w. errors.

My setup is attached.

NS
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Hey, I think I stopped using -forceasm because it turned out to be freezing my computer iirc
    3.25 client, 1700+ @ 2322MHz, ABIT KD7-RAID

Does that sound right? I haven't bothered with it in a while.
  • CaffeineMeCaffeineMe Cedar Rapids, IA
    edited September 2003
    Can the -forceasm and other trigger be run on ANY client, or just on the beta clients? My main client right now is 3.24, as is SM14's.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    On any client. It's just that the -forceasm only forces SSE on AMDs with the 3.25 client, and it's still in beta.