Apple Planning Intel-Ready iBook Debut for January

FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
edited November 2005 in Science & Tech
Think Secret reports that highly reliable sources have confirmed Apple is planning to release its first entry-level iBook laptops with Intel processors next January at Macworld Expo in San Francisco.

It is not known exactly what processors or price points the new models will debut at, but it is thought Apple will expand the iBook line with one additional model and will lower prices—in some cases possibly $200 or more—to entice current Windows users and prove to the market it will be more competitive with the likes of Dell, Gateway, HP and Sony.
Apple will almost certainly tap Intel's forthcoming Yonah processor for the iBooks, a successor to the company's Pentium M. It is unknown whether Apple will go with a dual-core version of the processor, slated for release in January, or a single-core version, which Intel announced in August would be delivered shortly after the dual-core version. The dual-core Yonah chip could very likely deliver performance greater than Apple's current G4-based PowerBooks.
Source: Think Secret

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Now, if it only ran Windows, I might consider buying one. ;D
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    This might be my first laptop..... :D
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited November 2005
    Intel & Apple - Double Ewwww!

;D;D;D
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited November 2005
    GHoosdum wrote:
    Now, if it only ran Windows, I might consider buying one. ;D

It does

You can put windows xp on it if you want it will do everything other notebooks do :).
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    arent they supposed to be porting osx to x86 systems? i heard that they can run on them now, its just that the os looks for a security chip or something on the mobo.

i think the os is really good. just overpriced hardware for the performance.