DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error message

djshowdowndjshowdown London
edited November 2005 in Hardware
i regularly leave my computer on to fold and do other tasks (video encoding and such)

a couple of times i have come back to a blue screen from hell which forces me to restart the computer by pressing the power button, and when i restart, it says 'windows has recovered from a serious error'

here is the blue screen
bluescreen.jpg

it does say something about mpd16usb.sys

i have an mpd16 drumpad that i use for making music and it would really be a shame if this was causing the problems (especially as there is very little documentation for it on net)

please could you help

cheers

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    You have faulty memory, or your computer is overheating. Do you know how to run memtest?
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited November 2005
  • djshowdowndjshowdown London
    edited November 2005
    i havent run memtest before

which one should i download?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2005
    If your computer has a floppy drive, get that one. If not, get the .iso file and make a CD.
    edited November 2005
    splendid

i will get on it now
    edited November 2005
    just ran memtest for a good half hour

300% coverage before i stopped it and no errors

any thoughts?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Alright, how are the temps on your computer? Do you have a program that will let you check them?
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited November 2005
    djshowdown wrote:
    just ran memtest for a good half hour...
    Is 30 mins to short to get a good indication from memtest? :scratch:

Not saying the memory is bad, just thought memtest should be run longer. :)
    edited November 2005
    when you run it, it says to run for 20 mins

:confused:

how can i check the temp on my comp
    edited November 2005
    Memtest averages about 10MB of memory per minute over the full run of testing. It will take nearly an hour to test 512MB and over an hour and a half to test a GB. It's recommended to do several passes to really check things out. Personally, I usually just fire the sucker up and let it go overnight. :)
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited November 2005
    Do you have a usb hub ?.

If so remove it and see if the error goes away :).
    edited November 2005
    well what ive done thus far is removed the mpd16 drum pad from the machine and am planning to only plug it in when i need it

so far so good, it didnt crash last night and i left it on doing stuff so it would have been towards the top end temp wise. could it be my usb hub causing a problem?

just for the record, my mpd16 isnt plugged into the hub

thanks for all the help thus far

im gonna run memtest for a couple hours just to be on the safe side :thumbsup:
    edited November 2005
    ran memtest for a good few hours with no problems so all clear on that front

can anyone recommend a decent (preferably free) program for monitoring my computer temperature?
    edited November 2005
    djshowdown wrote:
    ...can anyone recommend a decent (preferably free) program for monitoring my computer temperature?
    Motherboard Monitor is great, but may not support the latest MB's. SpeedFan is another excellent free program. (Thanks again, muddocktor. :thumbsup: )
  • edited November 2005
    I had the exact same proble ago, and eventually discovered that my 120Gb SATA drive is causing trouble.

Once I installed a new harddrive, I was up and running again without any trouble.