Lux matters????

edited November 2005 in Internet & Media
I am in the process of purchasing my first semi-pro DV/DVCAM/HDV camera, and don't want to make the wrong choice!

I am working on a tight budget and don't want this to stop me buying the right thing for my needs, but I would also be happy to 'make do' in the mean time rather than buy nothing at all. My problem is I only have a basic understanding of the nature of 'lux' as lumins per metre squared, although people are happy to tell me that certain cameras are not good in low light, I don't know how bad they are, in what degree of low light.

I have been looking at PD150/170, XL1s and HVR-A1E, but have recently been offered a PDX-10 for a reasonable second hand price. I primarily want to make short films, and maybe leave myself open to earn cash on the side making corporate/wedding videos. I want to keep as much manual control open as possible to enable me to be as artistic with video as I am with photography, but I have been advised that certain cameras are not good in 'low light' and shouldn't be touched.

My question is... how unacceptably bad are cameras like the PDX-10 or the XL1s in low light compared to the PD150/170, and how dark are we talking?

Plus, is there any truth in the rumour that the new sony HDV cameras are less good in low light than the old DVCAM range?