Ultra-D: Only boots after clearing CMOS

edited November 2005 in Hardware
I can only boot when I clear the CMOS. If I get into Windows and restart the computer..It wont boot again..It wont even reach the bios. I have to manually clear the CMOS..

Comments

• edited November 2005
    Please post full specs of your machine, brands and type of memory, psu, and vid card. The DFI boards are known for having numerous problems with cold boot and/or warm boot and some of your components can affect bootup.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited November 2005
    If I flash my bios on my dfi ultra-d I can't boot either except if I clear cmos. I'm running corsair pc4000 twinmos memory.

DFI claims its my memory. I have now tried three differant brands with the same results.

Tried slowing it way down manually also. Flash back to the original bios and it runs again.

Tex
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Seems like a manufacturers issue that they refuse to accept.
  • rykoryko new york
    edited November 2005
    ahhhh.....the dreaded cold boot issue. google "cold boot and dfi" and you will see you are not alone. strange thing is that something that fixes one persons board doesn't always work with someone elses.

for me and my dfi nf3-ultra, i had cold boot problems on the original 6-02 BIOS, but once i flashed to the 7-11 BIOS the problem dissappeared. Note that i didn't flash to the newest 8-24 BIOS because it is plagued by problems.

head on over to dfi-street.com forums and search around for cold boot fixes and the best BIOS for your nf4-ultrad-d. usually a BIOS flash will fix the cold boot issue, but there are numerous other tricks that might work also . good luck. :)
  • edited November 2005
    I was also reading some threads on this issue at the overclockers.com forums and a lot of folks are also placing the blame on DFI using crappy FETS on the boards too.
  • rykoryko new york
    edited November 2005
    what does FETS stand for?
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited November 2005
    FETS=Field Effect Transistors.

MOSFETS=Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistors.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    3 boards here on the 3.10 bios and doing fine so no reason to flash to a newer one. ;)