XP unable to boot up

edited June 2006 in Hardware
Help! I bought my ACER computer a year ago. Recently, my computer having problem to load up. After i press the ON button, it just hanged at the ACER main screen. Usually, it will load up Microsoft XP screen after the ACER screen.. I need to press reset it a few times but on my unlucky days sometimes even takes abt 10 times.. Pls help coz i feel like throwing this computer out of my windows!! :confused: :bawling:
This problem is intermittent.. Which means, on good days, i have no problem in booting up. Is this some symptoms of any problems??

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2005
    Run the test from the hard drive manufacturer and also do a few passes of Memtest-86.

What power supply unit do you have? Listing all your system specs would be helpful. :)
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited November 2005
    I would do what was suggested by profdlp, as the hard drive may be giving you problems or the memory might be defective. I see manufacturers boot screens hang for a number of reasons, but usually in the cases I have dealt with, they have been due to drive configuration issues.
  • edited November 2005
    CPU Type :Pentium 4 with 3.0GHz.
    512MB
    120GB HDD
    CPU Clock : 1.70 GHz

Im extremely new to this but how do u run the test from hard drive manufacturer? :confused:
  • edited November 2005
    I tried running the Memtest for almost 4 hrs.. No errors found..
    edited November 2005
    gawddez wrote:
    ...how do u run the test from hard drive manufacturer? :confused:
    What brand is it? There will be a test at the manufacturer's website. If you need help finding it just let me know. :)
  • edited November 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    What brand is it? There will be a test at the manufacturer's website. If you need help finding it just let me know. :)

My PC brand is ACER..
  • edited November 2005
    Do u mean my hard disk drive brand? :scratch:
    edited November 2005
    gawddez wrote:
    Do u mean my hard disk drive brand? :scratch:
    Yes. It should be on the label on the drive. :)
  • edited November 2005
    Ok.. I've checked my Hard drive brand is Seagate Barracuda 7200.7

My power supply model is FSP200-60ATV
    AC output : 100-127/220-230V~
    DC output : 200W

I tried to re-sit the IDE cable for my hard disk.. :wow2:
    edited November 2005
    For Seagate testing you want to go here and check out the SeaTools software. I'd recommend the Desktop version.
  • edited June 2006
    gawddez wrote:
    Help! I bought my ACER computer a year ago. Recently, my computer having problem to load up. After i press the ON button, it just hanged at the ACER main screen. Usually, it will load up Microsoft XP screen after the ACER screen.. I need to press reset it a few times but on my unlucky days sometimes even takes abt 10 times.. Pls help coz i feel like throwing this computer out of my windows!! :confused: :bawling:
    This problem is intermittent.. Which means, on good days, i have no problem in booting up. Is this some symptoms of any problems??

The problem is in the Power supply, its unstable. I have 4 acer computers using that kind of power supply.

You can test the power supply. remove all the connectors except the power cord. Then, short the green wire to the black wire (ground), the fan should run. If it don't, replace the power supply.