hard drive blues

edited November 2005 in Hardware
I have gone without a home pc for over a month because I can't get XP setup or my BIOS for that matter to acknowledge my SATA drive. It is a Maxtor 300 gb SATA. Do I need to do that pin 11 isolation thing (or can it be fixed with firmware?), should I go back to EIDE, or could I try SCSI? If SCSI is worth it whats a good SCSI drive that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? Thanks.

Comments

• FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited November 2005
    If you could list the specs of the motherboard, drive, controller the drive is attached to, processor, video card, all other things attached to your motherboard incl. the ps, it would be fery helpful. Once you give that info, we can probably help!
  • edited November 2005
    It's an ECS Nforce4-A754, the hard drive is a diamondmax 16mb cache 300gb sata drive, the controller is the nforce4 sata controller ( I don't know more than this), I have an Athon 64 3700+, 2gb of Kingston Ram, and a Sapphire Radeon GTO2. All topped off by a chaintech sound card.
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited November 2005
    Is the drive 100% operational? Have you tested it elsewhere? Or perhaps, tried another drive on the SATA controller to determine where the fault is...
  • edited November 2005
    Yes, the drive worked with my old motherboard.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    The nForce4 SATA controller is native to the chipset, it does not require any drivers unless you want to use the RAID setup (which you don't appear to be using).

Have you swapped the drive onto a different port, changed the cable & enabled the controller in the motherboard BIOS...?