Autorun scripts?

Buddha16Buddha16 Austin, Tx Member
edited December 2005 in Science & Tech
Anyone know how to write autorun scripts?

Comments

• ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Autorun for....? CD's??? login scripts...?
  • Buddha16Buddha16 Austin, Tx Member
    edited November 2005
    yea for cd's

I don't know if it can be done. But i need a script that will copy the files on the cd (when i put it in) to a folder on the hd and overwrite older files. I appreciate any help. TIA. :confused::D
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    http://www.highdesertsoftware.com/autorun.html

That will create the autorun.inf files for ya. The rest is just a simple .bat file that will copy & overwrite files ;)
    edited November 2005
    what program do i tell it to run, it says i must select an exe.? :confused:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2005
    A more specific description of what you are trying to do would be helpful. Do you want to autoplay music? Create a slideshow? Launch a program? Or...? :)
    edited December 2005
    I want to make a file cd. So when i put the cd in it automatically writes the files to the hd and replaces old files. and thats it. :confused:
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited December 2005
    Buddha16 wrote:
    I want to make a file cd. So when i put the cd in it automatically writes the files to the hd and replaces old files. and thats it. :confused:
    Cds are read only ... and you need a batch on a floppy for that.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Of course CDs are read only, but he wants to copy files TO the hard drive, overwriting old files. Read the post.
    edited December 2005
    right so a script that will just copy the files to a directory and overwrite old files....thanks to all by the way for your help. :D
    edited December 2005
    any suggestions? :confused:
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited December 2005
    the autorun.inf doesn't need to point to a .exe, it can point to a .bat

a .bat file is a batch file, a simple text file that contains a series of commands to be executed. The command you want is 'copy' as in:

"copy d:\myfile.txt c:\myfolder\myfile.txt"

this will copy a file called myfile.txt from the d: drive (your CD drive hopefully) to a folder called myfolder on your c:\ drive. You can add the /y switch to the end of that command to make it not ask you about overwriting files. ie:

"copy d:\myfile.txt c:\myfolder\myfile.txt /y"

or, if you have lots of files you want to copy try this

"copy d:\*.* c:\myfolder"

This will copy any files (*.* uses wildcard characters to select all files) in the root (lowest level) of the D: drive into the myfolder folder on the c drive.

so, create a simple text file with a series of those copy commands in it, call it 'runme.bat' (or something.bat) and point your autorun.inf at it.

Hope that helps.

edit: here's a more specific example. lets say we have a folder on our cd called 'files' that has a number of files in it. we want to insert that cd and automatically copy those files to a folder on our c: drive called 'copied_files'. now, first we need to create our batch file. create a new text file and put the following line into it:

copy d:\files\*.* c:\copied_files /y

now, save that file and name it 'runme.bat'.

Now we need to create our autorun.inf. create another new text file and put these lines into it:

[autorun]
    open=runme.bat

save that file as 'autorun.inf'

and that's basically all you need to do. make sure those 2 files are in the root of your CD and your files are in a folder on the CD called 'files' and you should be set to go. This assumes your cd drive is D: and your hard drive is C: but you can change those as applicable.
    edited December 2005
    Thats exactly what i was needing, thanks. It seems pretty simple too. Tried it and i works like a champ. You think its possible to work backwards as well. ie... from hd to zip disk, if i tell the .bat file to copy off the hd to the disk? :thumbsup: