Opteron Pricing ...

csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
edited November 2005 in Hardware
Not sure how many noticed that almost immediately after these 939 pin opterons were released they ran out of stock and the new stock prices were increases by quite a bit. I'll reference a few articles from amdzone and overclockers as examples to show my point.

http://www.amdzone.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=200&page=1

"Our Opteron 165 was a boxed version and comes with a copper heatpipe and aluminum fin retail cooler in the box. Clocking in at 1.8GHz it is the lowest clocked off all the Socket 939 Opterons. That puts the $290 CPU at 200MHz slower than the Athlon 64 X2 3800+, but with a full 1MB of L2 cache versus 512kb per core. Then the price places it about $40-50 cheaper"

I'll finish this up shortly brb

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    good find! I noticed this for a build Im doing! I was lucky to get an early bird order in and saved $60 Bucks!
  • edited November 2005
    Yeah, seems to be a good bit of gouging/scalping being done by Newegg and Monarch both. :shakehead

For another source for DC and single core Opterons, you might check out Tankguys . It's a smaller store but the owner of the store is also an enthusiast like us and he's also active on forums such as overclockers.com and Anandtech. He doesn't get the discount that a Newegg or Monarch gets when he orders as he doesn't do the business of either, but he is marking up his procs much less than both Newegg and Monarch too. He's presently sold out on the 165's now but his price for them was $331, which is around $20-25 cheaper than the big stores too. I personally haven't ordered from him yet, but I would try him out in the future if he has the product in stock with a competitive price. They only have 40 ratings at resellerratings.com so far but they are rated a perfect 10.
    edited November 2005
    If your looking for the 165's I can get them at my reseller. I sell them for around $300.00 - $310.00. But in a few weeks they will drop to $280's I usually don't just sell parts, But I can make exceptions here and there for the guys fo Short Media! I just have to call and find out what my price is for that day! It jumps up and down all the freaking time.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    But I'm not finished ...LOL

Ok ...read on at overclockers on what they have to say about it.
    The whole point is that this isn't the retailers fault hardly ...

http://www.overclockers.com/tips00874/

I'm not pist or venting or anything ...just wanted to inform and give a headsup to those who might be wondering.
    edited November 2005
    csimon wrote:
    But I'm not finished ...LOL

Ok ...read on at overclockers on what they have to say about it.
    The whole point is that this isn't the retailers fault hardly ...

http://www.overclockers.com/tips00874/

I'm not pist or venting or anything ...just wanted to inform and give a headsup to those who might be wondering.
    Ok now I'm pist ...it seems that the 170 went from $356 to $402 which was ok I think ...now all of a sudden again overnight it has jumped to $425. :rarr:

This is like watching the gas pumps during hurricane season sheesh!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103586

Maybe they're trying to drive the stock prices up for 05Q4? Maybe trying to up the older proc sales.
    edited November 2005
    now it's $435 ...I'm beginning to take it personal! :rarr::rarr::rarr:
    edited November 2005
    I shouyld call my buyer and buy a lot fo them and sell them 30 bucks cheaper :) than everywhere else!
    edited November 2005
    I shouyld call my buyer and buy a lot fo them and sell them 30 bucks cheaper :) than everywhere else!
    Well if you do let me know.
    I really like amd and especially the 170 but this is ridiculous.
    edited November 2005
    I probably wont! But I have seen some nice clock speeds out fo these bad boys!
    edited November 2005
    $445 ...livid.
    I'm reconsidering the M2 at this point ...at this rate I may start browsing Inhel.
    edited November 2005
    Intel fanboy here ...$455

That is up $99 from it's original price just a week or two ago.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited November 2005
    These things have been almost impossible to get in Canada. NCIX finally got some in stock, but 148's and 170's only.

They had a 48-hour instant rebate on the 148's so I sprung for it. It was $300CDN with tax and express shipping included. Not too bad I suppose.

Many canadian retailers have been listing them on sites since october, and they are still not avaliable. I'm very glad I didn't preorder a 144 for $250, and then wait until who knows when..
    edited November 2005
    they are still rising in price :)
  • edited November 2005
    Makes my Opty 170 a bargain at $402 shipped then. :D

BTW, I got it in yesterday evening and it's a CCBWE 0541 RPMW. I just stuck it in my Epox board a little while ago, along with a 2 GB kit of Mushkin Redline 4400, which uses the Infineon chips, BTW. I'm presently memtesting the ram at 250 X 8 to test the ram meeting it's specs without overclocking the proc at all, to eliminate the overclock variable while testing.

I went with the Mushkin because it seems that OCZ is having problems getting the infineon chips for their EB 4000 Plat kits.
    edited November 2005
    muddocktor wrote:
    Makes my Opty 170 a bargain at $402 shipped then. :D

BTW, I got it in yesterday evening and it's a CCBWE 0541 RPMW. I just stuck it in my Epox board a little while ago, along with a 2 GB kit of Mushkin Redline 4400, which uses the Infineon chips, BTW. I'm presently memtesting the ram at 250 X 8 to test the ram meeting it's specs without overclocking the proc at all, to eliminate the overclock variable while testing.

I went with the Mushkin because it seems that OCZ is having problems getting the infineon chips for their EB 4000 Plat kits.

LOL ...well apparantly OCZ is lifting the prices on the 4000 platinum kits that I wanted too.
    When I first began pricing they were at $307 ...they went up to $327 which I thought was fair. I checked yesterday and they shot up to $367.

Someone up there just doesn't want me building this rig!
    edited November 2005
    they are still rising in price :)
    actually I searched from scratch and found the OEM for $410 ...it's still $50+ higher than it was originally but I guess maybe I can deal with that.
    I guess that just gives me a good reason to hold off for now or the build.
    I did get my case ordered though!
  • edited November 2005
    Heh, the Mushkin ram I ordered over the weekend went down from $331 when I ordered it to $317 last night. Just goes to show you that there's no rhyme or reason on pricing nowdays. :scratch:

BTW, this Redline passed 1 pass at 250 fsb at it's programmed spd timings of 3-3-2-8 at 2.8v (lowest I can now take the vdimm on my vdimm modded 9NDA3+). It failed at 260 and 259 fsb, but it's looking good so far at 258 fsb and the same timings. You might want to go the Mushkin route like me, Chris. Or you can go with the Crucial Ballistix 4000 2 GB kit from the Egg for around $300.
    edited November 2005
    muddocktor wrote:
    Heh, the Mushkin ram I ordered over the weekend went down from $331 when I ordered it to $317 last night. Just goes to show you that there's no rhyme or reason on pricing nowdays. :scratch:

BTW, this Redline passed 1 pass at 250 fsb at it's programmed spd timings of 3-3-2-8 at 2.8v (lowest I can now take the vdimm on my vdimm modded 9NDA3+). It failed at 260 and 259 fsb, but it's looking good so far at 258 fsb and the same timings. You might want to go the Mushkin route like me, Chris. Or you can go with the Crucial Ballistix 4000 2 GB kit from the Egg for around $300.
    I'll definitely keep my eyes open on all of my options for now. I just ordered a few options for the case so it may be a few more weeks til I get ramping on the innerds! ;D
    edited November 2005
    The subject goes on at overclockers! http://www.overclockers.com/tips00877/
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited November 2005
    Bah, I have no sympathy....

An opteron 175 from Monarch computers in the US will currently set you back $461.63, that's £268.56.

That same chip over here in the UK would cost you £350.00, which is $601.52.

that's a $140 difference, so stop ya whinging :P
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited November 2005
    deicist wrote:
    Bah, I have no sympathy....

An opteron 175 from Monarch computers in the US will currently set you back $461.63, that's £268.56.

That same chip over here in the UK would cost you £350.00, which is $601.52.

that's a $140 difference, so stop ya whinging :P
    :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

Shipping from the US to the UK is only $20-$25 bucks. You dont have to pay that inflated £350.00 price either..... :thumbsup:
    edited November 2005
    Yeah, but then if it gets checked at customs you have to pay duty on it anyway, which pushes the price back up to what it would have been. There's a chance you'll get lucky and get it through without duty, but there's also a chance you won't.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited November 2005
    I guess the package i sent was lucky....."Defective/Broken Electronics" :D
    edited November 2005
    Knowing my luck I'd be the one out of 100 that actually got checked....but, just in case I decide to try my luck, can you recommend any good (cheap) US retailers who ship overseas?

edit: I've just been having a look on monarch. They have the OEM 170 for $410, but if you go into the combo section it's showing in there for only $356. This means you can choose the cheapest motherboard ($72) and the cheapest fan ($11.95) you can get it for $445.83 and get Half life 2, Bet on Soldier: Bloodsport and some wrist band or a pen :)
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited November 2005
    Everything rockets up on this stuff at Christmas time.

Tex