New build power switch problem

edited November 2005 in Hardware
I have put together a computer (well it looks like one) but when i hook up the power and turn on the power supply, the system powers up with out me hitting any of power on buttons on front of the case. Of course the only thing that happens is the case fans ( and cpu fan) come on and the computer beeps at me...no display, i have checked all my conections and as far as i can tell is as it should be. Any suggestions?

Cpu - Amd 64 bit socket 754
Msi K8n Neo main board

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    1) Try clearing the cmos with the power off.
    1a) The type of beeps (short/long) are called a beep code - usually there's somewhere in the manual to tell you what a given beep code indicates

2) This sounds like there may be a grounding problem or perhaps one of your components (CPU/Video/RAM) isn't seated properly. Try taking those three things out, and then putting them back in.

3) If that doesn't work, try taking your motherboard out of the case, setting it on the box that it came in. Attach only the video card, RAM, and CPU (with heatsink). Attach a monitor so you can see what's happening. Clear the CMOS and attach the power supply. Test it like that. If it works like that, check to make sure all the motherboard standoffs are in the right place.
  • edited November 2005
    Hey thanks, I cleared the CMOS and checked all the conections again...looks like I'm up and running...at least for now...look for me in the software section soon...I'm sure I'll be having fun with the set up.