What would you change in the layout?

2»

Comments

• ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Mark.. never seen that before .. ouch :banghead:

What resolution is that?

Khaos... Ive got quite a few changes to make in next few weeks.. but Im holding off. I just got Vbulletin 3 final beta. I want to concentrate efforts on that.. so when the gold code is released, that will contain all the changes :) I will do some cosmetics though, in the meantime.
  • Red-DawnRed-Dawn Been kidnapped and being held hostage in Edinburgh
    edited June 2003
    In the last post section where all the forums are listed the last post thread and last poster don't match up when there are sub-forums in that section. i.e it displays the last thread posted only from the main forum but the last poster can be from the sub-forum. gets kinda confusing when u click go to last post which appears to be 1 thread but u end up in another, if u know what i mean cause i'm confusing myself now
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited June 2003
    Shorty said
    Mark.. never seen that before .. ouch :banghead:

What resolution is that?

Khaos... Ive got quite a few changes to make in next few weeks.. but Im holding off. I just got Vbulletin 3 final beta. I want to concentrate efforts on that.. so when the gold code is released, that will contain all the changes :) I will do some cosmetics though, in the meantime.

The picture is 800x700, so hes probably at 1024x768
  • TrinityTrinity UK
    edited June 2003
    Shorty

Just incase you forgot the buttons need doing :D

Trin xx
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited June 2003
    Trinity said
    Shorty

Just incase you forgot the buttons need doing :D

Trin xx

LOL;D

Sorry that just made me laugh. Don't let her boss you around mate. But she's right, they do need doing.;)

My only gripe with the main page is the positioning of the 'sarcnet industries' ad. I think it needs to be lowered slightly to sit just below the 'Featured Reviews' header level. Something along the lines of what it looks like below.
  • EQuitoEQuito SoCal, USA
    edited June 2003
    Shorty said
    Because some members post pictures that are larger than the post table. Only way to is to make the whole forum wider to suit...
    If you don't mind me saying so, make the forums wider then. After all, there is one inch of wasted space on each side.
    Or you could limit the width of attachments to the width of the forums which could use a splash of color btw... :D

Just my 2 cents. Cheers!
    edited June 2003
    I'm no coder, and I have no idea of what the limitations are with vBulletin, but with regard to the whole attached picture size thing, would it not be possible to encorporate some sort of intelligent resize into the displaying of attached images, sort of like what IE6 has built in. So it resizes the picture to suit the window size. Or would that just be too much trouble than it's worth?

Just an idea/query.
  • edited June 2003
    Everything is cool expect for two things...the ratings and quotes. The rating system needs to go because most people don't use it and if they do is just one or two people, also i think the pages would run faster without it. I really liked the old icrontic quotes because they were nice and simple.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Yeah, what the hell is the rating system? I have never used it once ever, in fact, I didn't even see it until I read Tropical's post...
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2003
    OMG prime.:rolleyes:

Not really a layout change but where the hell is the rockon smilie. I was PMing seversphere and I said it and realized we dont have it anymore. Its a must have!!!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Diabx0r MUST have the rockon smiley. He used it all the time :)
  • KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited June 2003
    I think that the name cell is kinda weird looking now. If everything is going to be centered, then perhaps the location should be moved up under the custom title. Right now it looks kinda goofy when people have an avatar. This should be a template issue so the change would carry over to the new vB.

Something that's not a template issue is the display of "Location" even when there is no value for it or just blank spaces... There's no reason to just have "Location: " there, it's messy. Hopefully that'll get fixed in the new vB, but if not, I'm noting it here.

Dassall ;)
  • KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited June 2003
    Tropical said
    Everything is cool expect for two things...the ratings and quotes. The rating system needs to go because most people don't use it and if they do is just one or two people, also i think the pages would run faster without it. I really liked the old icrontic quotes because they were nice and simple.
    You can still quote Icrontic style, I'm not sure what you're complaining about. The checkboxes just let you quote multiple posts at once, which is AWESOME... IMHO.
    edited June 2003
    Also, just a tiny thing, but if I'm not mistaken the dynamic code as displayed below for the mainpage top menus, doesn't preload the mouse over images when the page is intially loaded. It only loads the images after you have rolled your mouse pointer over the links, which results in a short delay before the roll over image is displayed.
  • Bad_KarmaBad_Karma The Great White North
    edited June 2003
    Is there a way to increase the speed one can post. :) It would help out in the babe thread. If it's to counter-act spam then I'll live with it.
    edited June 2003
    Spam and also load :)

///Adjusted to 15 seconds/// :)
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    how about putting up the total amount ppl have posted next to their avatar
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    WuGgaRoO said
    how about putting up the total amount ppl have posted next to their avatar

This isnt going to happen. Its not really needed and saves on database hits. I am sure when Shorty see's this he can give a better explaination than I can.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    awwww shcucks :(
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    If you think about it, its not much more than a status thing anyway. If you really have to see how many post's someone has done, click on their profile button. I think its better without myself, some people post for postings sake just to get their post count up, nothing more. Whats the point of doing it if no-one can see it ;)
    edited June 2003
    The reasons for post count removal are simple. It saves two queries per post to the database. Removing registration date also saves a query :)

These are my previous posts actually ;)...

http://short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?postid=455#post455

http://short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?postid=606#post606

Both explain pretty much the same. Post count is of no real consequence or value. It doesn't matter how many posts you got or how long you have been registered for. You are based purely on the way you communicate with others on these boards :)
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Shorty said
    Both explain pretty much the same. Post count is of no real consequence or value. It doesn't matter how many posts you got or how long you have been registered for. You are based purely on the way you communicate with others on these boards :)

Well said, Shorty! :cheers:
  • MarkTAWMarkTAW Brooklyn, NY
    edited June 2003
    True... You can post idiot responses A LOT and have more posts than someone who posts a few intelligent, insightful things.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2003
    On the forum index the "Posts" and "Threads" column do not line up all the way down. The forums line up in each group but each group of forums is different.
    edited June 2003
    mmonnin said
    On the forum index the "Posts" and "Threads" column do not line up all the way down. The forums line up in each group but each group of forums is different.

Can't fix that. Have tried. Will continue to find a fix somehow.