The 7800 GTX 512 is incredible...

TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
edited November 2005 in Hardware
11k.JPG

The speed og these cards is breathtaking. 11K on stock cooler and volts. :D
I wonder what the score would be wiht 2 cards and a good Dual Core? Dual Core cpu's give another 1000 at least.

Comments

• lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited November 2005
    :eek2:

Very nice
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited November 2005
    Would it be better to get one of these over a regular GTX? I mean, it's like $200 more, isn't it? Or would I be better off dropping that $200 elsewhere, and/or saving for a second regular GTX?
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    One 512 does 10500 fairly easily but you need a hell of an overclock on a regular gtx to reach that. The 512 are that much faster. The 512 coupled with a dualcore cpu is the thing to have. The cooler on the 512 is so good you don't need another one unless you go watercooling. I have the other 512 card on the desk so let me know if you need any specific pictures.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited November 2005
    Well I certainly can't afford anything yet. Still paying stuff off, but pretty soon I'll start getting there. What kind of 3Dmarks can a regular GTX get?

I'm asking because I'm not a huge gamer. I try to, but eh. Maybe if I can get more immersed in it, it'll help, but not right now. Would I be better gettin 1 512 or 2 256?
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    I'm swearing on 1X512 over 2X256 mostly because of the heat and power. 512 draws up to 22 amps on the 12V rail and the 256 draws up to 19 or if it was 20.

22X12V=264 watts for one 512 card
    36X12V=432 watts for 2X256 cards

On a A64 system, the cpu draws another 100 watt on the 12V line, at least with a normal overclock. On top of that, you have 4-5 fans at 8 watts each.

That's close to 600W alone on the 12V rail on sustained load. Not many powersupplys do those numbers 24/7. The ones you can get cost an arm, leg and at least, half the kidney. In the end, one 512mb card might actually be cheaper.

I saw a report from someone who ran an Intel rig with 2 of these cards on a managed UPS and the wattage drawn was over 700watts. LOTS of heat out of that.

Just my 2 cents.