Change hard drive number

edited November 2005 in Hardware
Can anyone help me please, I have had a second hard disc installed and it has the drive number F and I want to reallocte the number to the original C how can I do this .Regards Flossannie ;)

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    You had 2 drives, you don't have the first one now and you want to change the drive letter of the second one which was "F" to "C", right? What OS?
  • edited November 2005
    Black Hawk wrote:
    You had 2 drives, you don't have the first one now and you want to change the drive letter of the second one which was "F" to "C", right? What OS?

No I have 2 drives and the OS is windows XP, but the new drive has been set up as the boot drive namely F and the old drive that was C, I want to format and re number it while making the new drive C.
    Hope thats clear as I am no computer buff.
    Many thanks for helping so far anyway.
    flossannie
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    I've never had to change the drive letter on the OS drive/partition so I'm not sure how that would work. After you change the letter, the OS won't know where to locate the files. You'd need Partition Magic which can help you there. After changing the letter, it searches in the registry for the file names and changes the drive letters.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited November 2005
    actually you can edit the registry changing all occurances of say "F:" to "C:" to resolve where the files are located.

But again this isnt something to be taken lightly. Using partition magic or another utility would be the better way to do this for most amatuers.

If I understand though... You want to reformat and have the new drive set as C: not F: correct?

Just disconnect the old c: drive. Now install XP again with your format (delete the old partitions) and it should become the "C:" drive

Tex
  • edited November 2005
    Very many thanks to all who offered help.
    Flossannie