Just bought a New lappy!! Some Processor Questions!

JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
edited November 2005 in Hardware
Well, as you all know, today is Black friday. And there was some monster deals everywhere. Now... i never really knew what black friday was or what monster sales happen on this day. BUT. I decided to try and get a 379 dollar laptop. Sooo... i show up like at 9:00PM at BB and there was already people in line!!! I was about to shiz my pants!! So i get in line, im like the 17th guy in line, i meet some new people who were out for the same thing as me, a lappy! soo.. we wait in line ALLLLL night, it started raining and it didnt stop for the whole.... damn night... i froze my ballz off! But finally the moment of truth.. it was time for the employees to hand out Vouchers, and surprise surprise i got Toshiba Satellite L25 number 9 out of 21 they had in stock!! i was so damn happy!! sooo.. more time passes, and at about 5:00AM its time for Best Buy to open its doors!! people rush in like mad animals, there was more then 500 people in line (guestimation) and they all wanted in. I wait in a looong line for like another hour before im finally attended, and i got my Toshiba L25!!! w00t!!

here are the okay specs:
Intel Celeron M 370 @ 1.5ghz
256mb of PC4200
40gb 5400RPM HDD
Integrated Wireless G
CDRW/DVD Combo Drive
15.4'' LCD
ATi Radeon Xpress X200 GPU

Yes, its not the most powerful Lappy in the world, but for 379 dollars its a damn good deal!! and i love it!!

the only thing im going to upgrade is add another gig of ram.

But here is my main question. What is the difference Between Celeron M and Pentium M? I checked CPU-Z and my Celly M has 1mb of L2, wich i not bad, but do Pentium Ms have like 2mb L2? or whats the diff?

thx guys, and let me know what you think of my fantastic (imo) buy!!! oh and sorry i dont know nothin about Pentium Ms, this is my first brand new Lappy i ever bought!

Comments

• JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    edited November 2005
    i guess it wasnt that great of a deal...
  • edited November 2005
    That's a good deal you got, Jengo. That Celeron M 370 is basically the exact same processor as the original Banias pentium M procs; they just made them a Celeron when they came out with the Dothans. You should probably be able to upgrade that machine with any 100 fsb Dothan proc in the future too, since the thermal specs for Dothan are basically the same as for your celeron..
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    We bought my mom a 1.4Ghz Celeron M laptop for her birthday and it seems like a nice fast little machine somehow which is a bit odd, but it's cheap, light and has 4 hours battery life so thats not bad.
    edited November 2005
    muddocktor wrote:
    That's a good deal you got, Jengo. That Celeron M 370 is basically the exact same processor as the original Banias pentium M procs; they just made them a Celeron when they came out with the Dothans. You should probably be able to upgrade that machine with any 100 fsb Dothan proc in the future too, since the thermal specs for Dothan are basically the same as for your celeron..

CPU-Z reports it as dothan based and the FSB is 100mhz is that normal? If im reading what you are saying correctly, then its stupposed to be Benias based? hmm...
  • gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited November 2005
    the only difference between that and the one i have 1.7 P-M is half Cache and 200 mhz
  • edited November 2005
    They might have gone ahead and did a die shrink for your Celery to 90 nm like the Dothans too, but I know for a fact that when the Celeron M's first came out, they were basically just rebadged Banias Pentium M procs. It should be a fairly speedy machine, Jengo. And yeah, your cpu-z reading is most probably right.
    edited November 2005
    muddocktor wrote:
    They might have gone ahead and did a die shrink for your Celery to 90 nm like the Dothans too, but I know for a fact that when the Celeron M's first came out, they were basically just rebadged Banias Pentium M procs. It should be a fairly speedy machine, Jengo. And yeah, your cpu-z reading is most probably right.

Thanks guys!! im even more proud of my buy!!