Computer will NOT turn "on"

edited November 2005 in Hardware
Could someone please help me? Last night I shut my computer down and turn it off. Today I tried to turn it back on and nothing happens. The moniter has power but the computer does not. I tried a different cord already and that didn't work. I have not had any problems before this and I have no idea why this would happen. Can you give me some ideas to check?

Grace & PEACE

Cilla

Thanks for your time

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Check the back of the PSU and see if the switch on the PSU itself has been knocked to off accidentally.
  • edited November 2005
    Where and what is the PSU? I looked at the back of the computer and there isn't any on/off switch. I have a Dell Dimension Desktop computer- if that helps any.
    Enverex wrote:
    Check the back of the PSU and see if the switch on the PSU itself has been knocked to off accidentally.
  • edited November 2005
    Wait- are you talking about a power strip? LOL that is working fine. In fact I unplugged the computer from that and into another outlet because I wanted to see if that was the problem but it wasn't.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    On the upper back, near the cord, there should be a rocker switch. It may have been bumped off.
    The other thing is to unplug it and play with the on/off switch. Does it fell OK? Are you sure that it isn't stuck?
  • edited November 2005
    Are you sure that ALL computers have this? I can not see any kind of switch on the back of my computer at all. The only thing I see is what looks like a fuse or something. Also- I tried pushing the button to turn it on to see if it is stuck- it seems ok. Maybe I need to take the case off to further investigate it? This is so weird. I have never had this type of trouble. I hope it is nothing serious. :( Thank you SO much for trying to help me. You are giving me hope and I need that right now. lol
    edcentric wrote:
    On the upper back, near the cord, there should be a rocker switch. It may have been bumped off.
    The other thing is to unplug it and play with the on/off switch. Does it fell OK? Are you sure that it isn't stuck?
  • edited November 2005
    Hi cillia
    I heard you have a dell computer ?
    is it a desktop computer or laptop computer?

if it a desktop computer - where you put you cd or floppy disk in turn it to the back or turn aroudn you display screen .

if it laptop look at the bottom of the laptop or on one or the other side thre side be a restart button or on ,
    pls p.m take
    cilla wrote:
    Could someone please help me? Last night I shut my computer down and turn it off. Today I tried to turn it back on and nothing happens. The moniter has power but the computer does not. I tried a different cord already and that didn't work. I have not had any problems before this and I have no idea why this would happen. Can you give me some ideas to check?

Grace & PEACE

Cilla

Thanks for your time
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    To be honest, as you have no computer experience and it's a Dell, just contact Dell customer support and ask them to fix it, they should do it for you, heh.