Know any "build your own case" websites?

metomeyametomeya New
edited November 2005 in Hardware
Okay, is there any good build your own case website.

When I mean case, not those crazy cases (like life-sized anime babes that is also a computer case) NOT those... but rather a normal metal frame, plastic rectangle box case.

You think it will be too much? (I image the main thing would be the metal bending, and where to get the raw materials.)

Comments

• edited November 2005
    I've given quite a bit of thought to building my own case before, but I guess it just came down to the fact that I already have a case good enough that I could make even better once I mod the sh!t out of it. :D

It should be pretty easy to do though. All you'd need is access to a Home Depot, a drill, pop-riveter, and sheet-metal bending/cutting gear.

Some people make their cases out of wood, which prove to be very quiet when compaired to steel or aluminum. Grounding won't be a problem if you know how to connect a bare cable to all the devices.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    metomeya wrote:
    Okay, is there any good build your own case website.

When I mean case, not those crazy cases (like life-sized anime babes that is also a computer case) NOT those... but rather a normal metal frame, plastic rectangle box case.

You think it will be too much? (I image the main thing would be the metal bending, and where to get the raw materials.)
    If you want raw materials a good place to shop is onlinemetals.
    If you want a metal frame to get you started you can look at lubics ...scroll tot he bottom of the page.
    mountainmods has some interesting parts including drive bays and removable aluminum trays.
    I never found a single source with all components.
    I just ordered a pc-v2000b plus case but I still plan on building a case some day.

here is a good source for lian li replacement parts.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    home depot rents tools, and the one in my area has a metal bending press.
  • metomeyametomeya New
    edited November 2005
    I just wen to lowes, and they had nothing to bend the metal.,

but I found corner pieces, so all I really have to do is cut the sheet metal to size, and glue it together, by the way any thoughts on how to bond it together?

I don't know of a place to weld it, so I guess some type of glue will have to do , or small screws? JB welds or something?
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited November 2005
    metomeya wrote:
    by the way any thoughts on how to bond it together?

I don't know of a place to weld it, so I guess some type of glue will have to do , or small screws? JB welds or something?

JB Weld or I have had awesome results with stuff called plastic welder. Epoxy type stuff... Try Home Depot.... It bonds almost anything. A buddy runs maintenance for a HUGE printing shop and after extensive testing on huge million dollar presses he says plastic welder holds up better then JB Weld. And thats saying a lot considering I think anything on the planet can be fixed with either JB Weld or Duct tape.

Cheers

Tex
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Tex wrote:
    ...considering I think anything on the planet can be fixed with either JB Weld or Duct tape.

Cheers

Tex

i 2nd that...duct tape fixes anything ;D