Dell monitor - problem with DOS applications

edited November 2005 in Hardware
Hello,

after having a 14" for NINE years, today I finally replaced it with a 17" Dell P791. I really like it, it's black (as is the desk it's on), and it supports 100 Hz @ 1152x864. However, I have a problem.

I'm a fan of an old game, Doom, and now when I execute the game, the monitor goes blank for a few seconds. That would be no problem, but the game starts almost instantly, so when the view is finally restored, the game has been running for 1.5-2 seconds. That still wouldn't be much of a problem, but I often record demos and I often DO need to perform a quick start, which is impossible when I can't see a thing.

I tried to solve it by using Norton Commander - i.e., running a DOS program, then running Doom on top of it. In this case, resolution doesn't have to be changed, because it is already 320x200 in NC. However, this works only once, the screen doesn't turn off only the first time, when I quit the game, NC window is shifted and when I run it again, I get the same - blank screen and too late appearance.

Tried also to go to command prompt, switch to fullscreen and run Doom - it also works only once. Even closing and reopening NC or command prompt doesn't help now. Probably I'll need to restart Windows for it to work once again.

I hope I described the problem clearly, I'm on Win98 - just in case. Will be grateful for any possible solutions.