setting up raid 1

BudBud Chesterfield, Va
edited November 2005 in Hardware
i setup raid systems before but always started fresh with blank drives and a xp full retail disc. Im working on a computer at work thats a gateway GT5012. The customer has 1 250gb sata hard drive and wanted to add another 250gb and setup raid 1. He bought some piece of crap western digital raid controller, the model is wdad010. I want to be able to just copy the data from the one hard drive straight to the mirrored drive without losing data. I tried the bios feature in the card itself but it has froze twice on me know. Also i tried just creating the array without copying but i cant get the array to boot. I had loaded the drivers for the raid card in windows before i did anything else and still no luck booting on the card even without a array. Any ideas I could try or should I just wipe and start fresh? Also it comes with a dvd recovery disc by gateway, is there a way i can load the raid drivers?

Comments

• TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited November 2005
    How it works depends on the exact controller.

usually you create and initialize an array and the contents are gone. But with raid-1 it SHOULD (but you can't count on it) try and copy the first drive and build the mirror.

BACKUP the data to somewhere just in case! Your at work.. On a network right? back it up to something!

But it "should" build the mirror from the first drive.

Why is he doing raid-1 anyway? raid-1 does NOT keep you from backing up right? Tell me he knows that..... Your better off using the second drive to backup up the first. use imaging software weekly and copy his documents directory nightly

Tex
  • BudBud Chesterfield, Va
    edited November 2005
    i tried to convince him to not use raid 1 and told him it was a bad idea. I said get acronis or ghost but he wouldnt listen he said his "it friend" says thats the only way he should go. I warned hime and spent 30 min trying to convince him otherwise. It looks like the controller didnt transfer the data, thank god i had a backup. So now i took the gateway recovery disc and nlite to make a disc with the drivers slipstreamed in for the raid card. So i built the array and am doing a fresh install, but what scares me its a recovery disc and not a standard xp disc. Thanks tex for the help, you are the raid god
    edited November 2005
    well my nlite option of slipstreaming the drivers in doesnt look like it is working. It boots to the xp splash screen then restarts. Any ideas on what to do?
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited November 2005
    Bud wrote:
    i tried to convince him to not use raid 1 and told him it was a bad idea. I said get acronis or ghost but he wouldnt listen he said his "it friend" says thats the only way he should go. I warned hime and spent 30 min trying to convince him otherwise.

You did good then! Good job!

Have him call me..... (grin)

Tex
    edited November 2005
    lol...... ;D