msiexec

ronboronbo Connecticut
edited November 2005 in Science & Tech
I have a friend that is having problems installing anything in his computer that uses the Windows Installer Component. He will try to install a big program or a game and the installer will start, move a little bit and hang. When this first started to happen he could not remove anything from add remove in the control panel. We found the Windows Installer Component on line and reinstalled it. Now he can remove programes but still cannot install anything. Small things work, like graphics drivers, they went right in without a problem. He did an overnight virus scan on the computer and it found nothing. When the installer hangs it is listed in task manager as msiexec. He cannot end process on that task without doing a reboot. Any thoughts as to what he can try next? :scratch::scratch:

ps. he is running XP pro

Comments

• ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited November 2005
    No one can help with this?
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Go into "Add/Remove Programs" in control panel and go to the bottom and remove "Windows Installer". It should then be reinstalled when you try and install a Windows Installer based program.
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited November 2005
    Thank you for your reply, Enverex. I will have my friend try that tonight..... :thumbsup::thumbsup: