Hitachi SATAII Required Tool for 3 GB/s!!!

FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
edited December 2005 in Hardware
This is information I wish I had for the last few months. Apparently Hitachi decided not to enable SATAII speeds (3.0GB/s) on their new drives as they might not be recognized by SATAI controllers, even though the drive is capable of SATAII speeds. In order to get the 3 GB/s speeds, you must use the downloadable tool from their website to modify the drive controller for the SATAII spec. It can be found here:

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

Scroll down to the "Feature Tool (v1.99)", download whichever version yoiu want and follow the directions. The "feature tool users guide" is a good thing to look at too.

Just thought I'd let everyone know. If you knew this already, why didn't you tell me??? ;D;D

Flint

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2005
    That's some good information, Flintstone. :thumbsup:

Most of us (myself certainly included) don't get around to checking things like that until we start wondering why our benchmarks don't seem up to snuff. Then when we do, it's only after trying a bunch of drivers and several different cables. I'll bet you have saved a bunch of folks from a heap of aggravation.

Where were you when I was running my old deskstars in ATA-66 for months? ;D

...not that it mattered in the long run...
  • FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited November 2005
    Playing with Tex and some old SCSI stuff!!
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Flintstone wrote:
    This is information I wish I had for the last few months. Apparently Hitachi decided not to enable SATAII speeds (3.0GB/s) on their new drives as they might not be recognized by SATAI controllers, even though the drive is capable of SATAII speeds. In order to get the 3 GB/s speeds, you must use the downloadable tool from their website to modify the drive controller for the SATAII spec. It can be found here:

Scroll down to the "Feature Tool (v1.99)", download whichever version yoiu want and follow the directions. The "feature tool users guide" is a good thing to look at too.

Just thought I'd let everyone know. If you knew this already, why didn't you tell me??? ;D;D

Flint

Now that you've jogged my memory banks. I recall Equito posting this quite a while ago. ;) I had since thought something was needed on miy Hitachi's and now recall what it was. :rolleyes:

Thanks Flint! :thumbsup:
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Flintstone wrote:
    Playing with Tex and some old SCSI stuff!!
    Sounds kinda kinky to me. All that is missing is a bunch of wet dog hair. ;)
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2005
    mtgoat wrote:
    It's party time! :vimp:
    edited November 2005
    mtgoat wrote:

I guess the Newfies were having their own party!!
  • edited December 2005
    Flintstone wrote:

Flint

Any one know how to get this feature tool to recognize my drive on the Intel 945P Chipset? ICH7 Family Intel 82801 GR/GH SATA AHCI Controller.
    edited December 2005
    I haven't touched an Intel MB since the P166 Gateway I paid waaaaaaay toooooo much for way back when!!!

Sorry I can't help.

Flint