Repartitioning?

edited December 2005 in Hardware
I have some issues on my computer that have to do with the fact that I hard drive partitioned into different sections...a thing that most people do. The problem with this is that I didn't make enough space on my System drive, and now a lot of system intensive programs (video drivers and such) won't install because there isn't enough space on that drive. Is it possible to repartition the drive to add more space into it? I know the most probably outcome would be to reformat, and it's probably time to do a reformat anyhow, but it will take quite a long time to get back to snuff once I do go through with the reformat. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Yeah there is a program that you can use from a floppy to repartition w/o reformatting. Partition Magic I think is what it's called. I've used it several times and it works great!
  • KyleKyle Lafayette, LA New
    edited December 2005
    I recently tried to do exactly what you're thinking of doing with Partition Magic 8.0.

An error during the merger left me with a secondary partition unrecognizable by Windows. I would NOT recommend trying to merge your partitions unless you can absolutely 100% live without the data on both of those partitions. If that's not the case don't do it... because I did... and now I've lost virtually all of my digital posessions. It sucks.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2005
    Kyle: I posted a possible remedy in your thread. :)

Holson: Before running any partition resizing program it would be advisable to run the Windows error checking program on every partition. Make sure you check both boxes to automatically fix errors, etc. This is not a guarantee that you won't have problems, but it does provide some insurance.

Good luck to both of you. :wave: