thingy broke off of my usb disk

shackwrrrshackwrrr Lima, oh
edited December 2005 in Hardware
i have a 128 mb usb disk and the plastic has since broke off and the other day when i when to pull it out of my computer and i broke a little silver thingy off it says 48.000 ck and its oval shape can i find one on the internet that i can solder back on

Comments

• qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited November 2005
    It sounds like you broke the clock crystal off. Is the object a flat oval on the top about 1/2 along its long axis?

Its not hard to find another clock, the issue is the package (pin spacing etc) as well as the capacitance needed for it to operate properly.

If you're not experienced with electronics, could you take a picture of the thing you broke off and where it went on the circuit board? If you could also measure the dimensions (especially pin spacing) I could probably link you to something that would work.
  • shackwrrrshackwrrr Lima, oh
    edited November 2005
    ohwell i dont need it anymore it was only 128 mb and i have another one that my freind gave me trade for a dreamcast game and i saw them at wally world for 14 buxs the other day
    edited December 2005
    well i guess wake this thing back up because i decided i want to fiz it anyway and i fould the plastic case so all you need is a pic and some dimentions or is there another way to tell

dimentoins:
    cm long x 3.5 mm high x 5 mm pin spacing x 5 mm pin length hth

http://www.bomarcrystal.com/bc1415.jpg

its the hc-49/smd i just found it but where are the places i can order it other than this place that little piece ant cost 10 dollars and i know mines 48.000 mhz
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    If you can solder the original back on that would be the best option. If not, Digikey, Mouser, or Newark probably stock a matching part. Try their part cross-reference with the part number you found to see what compatible parts they have.

-drasnor :fold:
    edited December 2005
    the pins broke