nForce 4 data corruption

test_tube_tonytest_tube_tony Dallas TX Member
edited December 2005 in Hardware
ive read a little about this at http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=8171. so i ran the comp command after making a copy of a dvd iso file and sure enough. i get an offset error. tried several times and the error always seems to be different. i have tested the memory and hard drives for errors and found none. i have also updated the bios. the board im using is the dfi lanparty nf4 sli-dr. the hard drives are 74 gig WD raptors in raid. also, sometimes it works fine with no errors. i was runing a test while writing this and it just came up with no error. oh yea, i also have tagged queuing disabled for compatibility.

ook, i ran another test after recopying and it came up ok again. i just reflashed the bios for a seccond time and it seems to be working now. ill keep testing things out today and let you know what happens. im going to test with some bigger files now :)

Comments

• Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited December 2005
    A Dirty little secret of the Nvidia chipsets (NF2, NF3, & NF4) is that when copying large data sets from one drive to another (2-4GB+) you can get data corruption. It seems to happen the most when the Nvidia IDE software driver is installed but sometimes even if it isn't. It was a big problem with the NF3-150 chipset.
  • test_tube_tonytest_tube_tony Dallas TX Member
    edited December 2005
    an interesting thing happened. after i installed the ide driver and did a bios reflash for the 3rd time, the corruption problems went away. go figure eh?
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited December 2005
    I guess the driver has gotten better! :)
  • ShpladShplad Toronto
    edited December 2005
    Does this problem occur in Linux too, or only in Windows?

Brainer
  • rykoryko new york
    edited December 2005
    don't know about the linux thing....

just adding that i never installed the nvidia ide driver....just went with the one windows finds and i haven't had a single problem.

if i am feeling adventerous i might just give the new nvidia one a try!