System Restore (self inflicted) problem

edited December 2005 in Hardware
Running Windows XP (SP2)

Hi guys,
Was in the process of removing HSA (About:Home) Hijacker last night and initial process is to turn off System Restore. Being half asleep didn't realise that it was already turned off ! and inadvertantly turned it on again. Waited and waited for it to complete process, but being impatient, pulled the plug :eek: , literally part way through its process, now the machine crawls along and takes minutes to do anything e.g. 5 mins to click Start and wait for a response.
I guessed I have corrupted the System Volume Information in some way. The machine does not crash, no BSOD just crawls along now (normal and Safe mode). Is there anyway of restoring what I have done and get it back to normal? Also lost the System Restore tab so cannot attempt turning System Restore off again but came across a link that describes re-naming the System Volume Information folder.
Any help that involves a couple of clicks!! (yes I know nothings easy) or a definitive answer would be cool as it takes ages to do anything at present. And don't really want to reformat as its not my machine, and having trouble reading the hdd from another machine (to backup) for some reason. :bawling:

Any help/ideas greatly received.

Thanks all

Darrin

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Right click "My Computer", click "Manage" then expand the "Services and Applications" section on the left and click "Services".

Scroll down the list until you reach "System Restore Service". Double click it then change the drop down box to "Disabled" and click "Stop".

That should stop it from messing anything up.
  • edited December 2005
    Turning of System Restore under services could not be acheived. Unable to stop in a timely manner and had a process status of "stopping". Even after a re-boot. Guess I screwed things right up after pulling plug.
    Tried a re-install of SR, this had no effect either.
    Since repaired XP as it was taking too long to do the simplest of task to get a result. System now back to normal speeds...and have my System Restore tab back :thumbsup: