F@H & network issues

zakalwezakalwe Estonia New
edited December 2005 in Folding@Home
This thread should probably be under 'networking' section, but as questions include F@H too, I decided to put it here.

Problem description, short version: router stupid.

Problem description and questions, extended version:
I have an ADSL connection, with Thomson SpeedTouch 500series cable modem and Trendnet TW100-BRF114 router with my Athlon64 2800+ (stock @ 1.8GHz), Dell505 laptop (occasionally, as it usually catches unidentified wireless signal and is connected anyway) and our house owners' 'whatever-the-name-of-the-computer' (hey, sharing internet with them reduces our rent) connected to it. We used to have a simple switch instead of the router, but that solution needed my computer to be turned on for the others to use internet. So we got the router.

The problem is, that the router refuses to work normally and requires to be restarted quite frequently (at least once per 2 days, usually once or twice per day) for the net to work again. I've heard that the problem with those Trendnet routers is that their ac/dc adapter produces too high voltage and causes the router to act weirdly. Well, my measurements say that in my case it's not the issue (output 9.14V). Any other suggestions?
Whatever the reason, I'm a bit concerned about the F@H processes. I don't know if I must be conneted to internet while processing a work unit all the time or is connection needed only to start process/get new unit/send completed work? If connection is needed all the time, does F@h have some 'auto reconnect' feature? Why I ask, is that the FAHlog doesn't show connection failures/interruptions, so I may be unaware that there are problems at all, especially when I'm working on something else, don't surf and just check the log from time to time.
I hope that units are processed locally. But I thought I'd ask to be sure.

Oh, and is there an option to get WU-s without deadline? I probably won't be near my computer for long during christmas time and most of january (hey, working in school has its benefits: long vacations, for instance), and I'm definately not being at home during the vacation, meaning my computer is switched off.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited November 2005
    I wish I could assist you with your networking problem, but I don't know the router in question.

As far as F@H is concerned, it processes WUs locally and only requires internet access for a brief period of time during which it uploads a complete WU and downloads a new one.

The only exception is when it downloads a new core, however, this is a rare occurrence and generally happens a) on start-up, or b) during the afforementioned WU transfer.

Conclusion: Router stupid, F@H working as intended.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2005
    khaos covered the other stuff quite well. :)

To answer this question:
    zakalwe wrote:
    ...is there an option to get WU-s without deadline? I probably won't be near my computer for long during christmas time and most of january...
    There is, but I doubt you'd be pushing a deadline if you're only talking 3-4 weeks here. What version of the F@H client are you running?
  • zakalwezakalwe Estonia New
    edited December 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    What version of the F@H client are you running?

It is the 5.02 no-stupid-BS (or whatever it was) version.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2005
    zakalwe wrote:
    It is the 5.02 no-stupid-BS (or whatever it was) version.
    That's not exactly what it's called, but I instantly knew exactly what you meant. :D

Find the FAH console program, make a new shortcut to it, then add this to the end of the "Target" box:

-configonly

(note that there is a space at the beginning.)

Run the shortcut and you will get to re-jigger all the setup options. When you get to the "Change Advanced Options" part enter a "Yes". You'll see the option for deadlineless WU's in there. :)