Time for a new computer!

entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
edited December 2005 in Hardware
I could really use your help, everyone. I've had my computer since I joined this forum, and hence I haven't payed too much attention to the ins and outs of the new technology. So I'm asking for your help!

This is what I'm thinking so far:
Case: Antec P180
Powersupply: Seasonic S12 500w
*Motherboard: ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
*CPU, Memory, and Video card(s): Suggestions needed!*

Here's the deal: I play games, but not too often. Sometimes I wonder if this is because I have a hard time getting immersed with just my 9800pro - maybe amazing graphics would make me want to play more. I also don't do a whole lot of insanely CPU-intensive tasks. Every now and then I might rip/convert a DVD, but not too often. For these reasons I can't decide what kind, or how many video cards to get, and if I should get dual- or single-core.

ANY suggestions or tips would be appreciated! Thanks guys! :D

Oh, and this certainly can (and probably will) be bought in installments. So immediate price isn't a huge issue, but it would be nice to keep it sane. I could also ask for some of the less expensive parts for Christmas, so that's an option to reduce costs (on my part, anyway ;) )

Comments

• entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited December 2005
    Anything?
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Well you for memory go Corsair XMS 1 Gig chips or 512 chips so you can run DDR400, ASUS and Corsair really like each other..

Graphic wise, if you want to go all out you can get the 7800GTX 512.. If your the casual gamer and want the new tech and want it to look good. for a long time to come. pick up a 7800GT for around $299.00 and enjoy the benfits of all the new tech that is out on the market.

CPU: go for AMD all the way. I run a few high end AMD chips along with a few lower end chips. they all give me awesome performance. the Athlon 64 series will give you great reliability same with the X2 series. I personally am looking ointo the new Opterons for the 939 socket. they seem very promising!
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    and if you want you can get a 2nd 7800GT and get freaking awesome performance! in SLI
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Hey entropy ...keep an eye out on the eVGA 7800gt at the egg. This card went down recently to as low as $279 shipped with the instant savings deal.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130256
    Mine might be in maybe tomorrow!
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited December 2005
    Would the GTX be worth it for the extra 4 pixel pipelines? Or are those possibly unlockable with the GT?

Also a possibility is the 7800GTX 512. This would be a major plus because of the silent and efficient cooling (the default 7800GT hs worries me... I could always put an Arctic Silencer on, though). This time around I'm aiming for a super quiet PC.

If I bought this last... let's say some time in February or later (realistically speaking), how far do you think the price will have come down?