One or more unrecoverable problems--help

edited December 2005 in Hardware
Okay, I'm not techie and I'm a writer with a ton of data I can't afford to lose (at the end of writing a book).

I've got a DELL 4300...only 40 g hard drive and much of it used with data mostly, I could give more details if you need to know just tell me what I should post. Last spring its power source died and I replaced that.

On Nov 6 I downloaded two widgets from konfabulator--an analog clock and a weather widget.

After that coincidentally or not I was unable to migrate outlook express messages to outlook (i work in outlook express and probably shouldn't as I get so many emails and attached files i am probably overloading it). they looked like they were going to outlook but they didn't. then i tried to import them FROM outlook and couldn't. then outlook wouldn't open--seemed to be a pst file error and "cyclic redundancy error" or something like that. I tried to reinstall outlook and tried to find pst and repair it but the only pst file I could find was in "backup outlook" not in my username directory where its supposed to be? Then I tried to uninstall konfabulator and it wouldn't, neither could i repair it, reinstall it, or do anything to alter it. Then I went to konfabulator's website for support and when I clicked on support I got the Outlook error message, exactly, from outlook, which was REALLy weird. Then I tried a system restore to before I installed konfabulator, and it wouldn't restore. So I tried to restore the day after I had done it and all hell broke loose, with unmountable boot volume and, in recovery mode with XP CD, booting up from there, only 35% of my disk in chkdsk /p and chkdsk /r, and then one or mor eunrecoverable problems.

I do have an iomega 80 gig bus external drive ethat I always kept connected and on and probably backed up, but I'm kind of worried that one of those widgets had a virus or something, and that could be on the iomega. i turned off the iomega as it may be my only salvation here?

Can anyone advise? If I have to buy a new computer fine, I just need my data. I'm sick of DELL anyway as my DELL laptop also died after only 2 1/2 years, and now I have an IBM X40 ultraportable which I really like. I think I am going to give up on DELL if I have to get a new computer.

Anyway, any help appreciated--so just remember, I'm a woman, and not techie, and all the above I tried because of googling my problems not because I knew what to do.

THANX

Comments

• edited December 2005
    Hi jenbooks. It looks like your harddrive is going. The Unrecoverable Problems found with CHKDSK is evident of a failing harddrive. Back up your data if you still can and call Dell hardware support so they can do a diagnostic on the drive which will surely fail pretty quickly. I hope your PC is still under hardware warranty so you can get a free replacement.
    If you can't get into Windows to do a backup, you can try connecting your harddrive as a slave to another computer and try to copy your data over to your external drive. Good luck.
    :thumbsup:
  • edited December 2005
    Well geez this answer came many weeks too late, lol. I will not be coming back to these forums for advice and I think they put me on a spam list or sold my addy since I've been getting spam since.

Yes my hard drive died. I had an Iomega 80 g external drive backing up my C: drive adn I had taken a picture manually ofmy entire hard drive last May. HOwever, not having read the manual, I didn't realize that all emails since then were not backed up (have to do it manual as pst file) and that all files on my desktop or in my documents, which is not on c: drive were lost. So I did lose some important data and emails, but it wasn't tragic. I now hae a 120 gig hard drive in there that was on sale at circuit city for just a week for only $40 with rebate which of course I haven't received yet but I always put in for my rebates.
    Noleo wrote:
    Hi jenbooks. It looks like your harddrive is going. The Unrecoverable Problems found with CHKDSK is evident of a failing harddrive. Back up your data if you still can and call Dell hardware support so they can do a diagnostic on the drive which will surely fail pretty quickly. I hope your PC is still under hardware warranty so you can get a free replacement.
    If you can't get into Windows to do a backup, you can try connecting your harddrive as a slave to another computer and try to copy your data over to your external drive. Good luck.
    :thumbsup:
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited December 2005
    jenbooks wrote:
    Well geez this answer came many weeks too late, lol. I will not be coming back to these forums for advice and I think they put me on a spam list or sold my addy since I've been getting spam since.

Jen,

I'm not a moderator or owner of this forum and my interest has been the Folding at Home aspect and how much I'm learning trying to help others. But I will say a couple of things-

First, sorry about this. I/ we/ many work on a volunteer basis and at the time of your post, I personally was fighting the early stages of pnuemonia. Others have full time jobs where they can get paid 3 figures an hour to provide this type of support, but put in a lot of spare time here for reasons that range from friendship to help finding a cure folding. They may simply have been unavailable. Had I caught this and had reservations about my ability to help you, I would have waited for someone more experienced to help and responded only if your post languished too long. Obviously it did. Sorry.

Second, if you are getting spammed, I personally don't think it is this site (I've NEVER had spam I could attribute to this place) and if you have evidence that it might be, PLEASE FORWARD IT TO THE OWNERS because they not only hate spam ... they LOATHE it ... and would like to address that issue RIGHT NOW. I personally would contact Mr primesuspect myself.

Thirdly, I can't say or do anything that will make you feel better about the data you lost- and I can only say I'm glad it wasn't vital. It does sounds like you've done a creditable job of finding a drive.

Finally, I do have a suggestion that may help, if you haven't thought of it already.

As a writer, your data is vital and I would recommend getting a good CD/DVD burner to back-up your valuable data files on regularly. There are many good drives and utilities available to do this. I like the NEC 3550A burner and your utilities can be from what Microsoft gives you with Windows XP to what a more robust package like what Nero gives you, etc. People may also make good recommendations here. If you're a writer, you may want to do incremental back-ups daily and you might even consider carrying a jump-drive (one of those little USB keychain-like memory sticks) to back-up with when you have those moments of creative brilliance and gush it out and realize that you want to back it up immediately.

Hope that might have helped somehow-
  • PumalitePumalite Santiago-Centro
    edited December 2005
    After you get a good drive (I have an ASUS external), do get WinBackup 2.0...(Google it) Good luck! :thumbsup:
  • edited December 2005
    Well I figured it out myself.
    For backup, I know myself pretty well and I do not want to be constantly backing up and labelling to CD's. THe Iomega hard drive does a great job, I've set it to backup once daily, and get rid of the oldest "revisions" of a document its just that I am now not saving anything in My DOCUMENTs folder that windows naturally does not put on the C drive, I made my own C drive folder that I put a shortcut to on my desktop, that I move attachments from emails into. And I backed up Outlook pst file (with instructions NOT to duplicate old emails) and will do so about once a month. I can just instruct it before going to bed. So I am happy with my choice only I did not read the manual so I lost the emails and maybe about 10-20 files on my desktop or in my documents. It was NOT too serious. The Iomega worked great and I'm happy with it.

I don't blame anybody I was just ASTONISHED somebody responded to me nearly a month later! I figured they knew I would've taken care of the problem one way or another. Saying my hard drive is going so many weeks later is pretty funny.

I do think my name was given away, after I registered on here, but who knows. Anyway happy holidays to you.
  • edited December 2005
    I will look at that. I hope folks on here understand that last May I bought an 90 gig IOmega external hard drive and that saved my A$$. :) I did lose some stuff tho as per my other post.

Anyway, no offense intended that this forum did not help me. I figured it out myself. thanx.
  • edited December 2005
    Just to clarify. My Iomega drive backed up DAILY since last May. That's why I basically was fine even tho my hard drive died.
    Maybe that wasn't clear to folks. Its set to back up EVERY DAY and always was.
  • edited December 2005
    Sorry that your drive died like that, I lost a pair of 120's nearly back to back and I lost a whole lot of stuff that I'll never have a chance to replace so I can understand your ire at the failure.

Good for you on the backup regieme. Very smart move there. You might not be a techy but you're doing far, far better than the type that call their tower a "modem".
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited December 2005
    Thanks for posting back, Jen. And yes, I didn't piece together the IOmega part- I focussed more on your last post :shakehead . However, it is a relief to hear it worked for you as advertised.

Actually, at this point, I'm more of a "customer" like yourself, a newbie and not really part of the Short Media regulars. However, I do this as a volunteer when I'm not doing work/family/learning and my own thing because Folding@Home is something I believe can make a difference and I haven't really found a site where that commitment has been better supported. Like many here- I have my personal reasons- but I'll leave it at that.

And, personally, I hope you get to the bottom of the spam thing- I'd like to know myself- but I also know you have a life to get on with too. However, to the best of my knowledge, SM does NOT hand out e-mail addresses. That said, I'm still basically a newbie here (check my user profile) and can only go by my experience so far. If they do, they didn't make it clear to me either and, I'll tell you what, I will go with you. But, no- I've gone over my spam-mail- mine and my kids- and I can't make any linkage to this place. Actually, I've had more problems with my friends and family.

Still, whatever- I hope the best for you and your work and that you have a great holiday :)
  • edited December 2005
    jenbooks wrote:
    I don't blame anybody I was just ASTONISHED somebody responded to me nearly a month later! I figured they knew I would've taken care of the problem one way or another. Saying my hard drive is going so many weeks later is pretty funny.
    :wtf:
    I apologize for the late response. It was the first time I had seen your message through a google search and I joined the forum specifically to help you. You didn't leave a post stating that you had solved the problem so I left a response.
    Others may also read the post who are having the same problem so a response is always helpful even if the original message is 25 days old.