Cheap upgrade for Brightonpixie

CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
edited December 2005 in Hardware
My daughter's (Brightonpixie) 800MHz rig is getting rather tired. She can't load SIMS 2 as there isn't enough memory and the graphics card is too old. :(

I'm looking at an upgrade of the MB, CPU, memory and graphics card. I replaced the hard drive, DVD burner and PSU recently. All she does is browse the web and plays SIMS. Her boyfriend plays Championship Football Manager. Plus there is some intermittent folding. :D

I'm looking at picking one of the MB bundles from here , probably the 2600 Sempron with 512meg RAM.

Any other thoughts for a UK supplier?

Also suggestions for a graphics card. Or what about a MB with integrated graphics? I have no experience of building "low end" PCs. This one must be reliable as I have to fix it over the phone!

Cheers

Crypto

Comments

• DonutDonut Maine New
    edited December 2005
    I don't know anything about U.K. suppliers, sorry, but I would stay away from the intergrated graphics otherwise your next upgrade will be a vid card. :)

Of course when my wife wanted to upgrade her machine, new parts for me, older but good parts for her. :D
  • CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
    edited December 2005
    OK, so Brightonpixie gets my Barton 2500 etc.

How about this MB bundle as a starter for me?

Thanks

Crypto :)
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    No idea about Foxconn but if you're not overclocking then I don't see any issues. But yeah, you can't really ever do ANY 3D work with integrated graphics.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited December 2005
    Honestly I can't point you in a direction for upgrades. Heck I bought my first DVD burner about 2 weeks ago.

Hopefully someone else will chime in on some system recomendations for you. I'm a little to far out of the loop on newer hardware.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Crypto read some of the reviews from your link...some are quite interesting.
    I've never owned a foxconn but I've read some good reviews on their matx nf4 ultra sets and they were top notch actually! :thumbsup:
  • MadballMadball Fort Benton, MT
    edited December 2005
    I've heard good things about Foxconn. I know their server boards are quite good. I wouldn't be afraid to buy one of their boards.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Whats your budget buddy...? :)
  • CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
    edited December 2005
    Shorty wrote:
    Whats your budget buddy...? :)

Well, to upgrade Brightonpixie's it was to be £200, but if she's going to get my current main rig, the sky's the limit for me. :D Probably about £250.

As an initial foray in to the world of 64 bit, I quite fancy that Foxconn / A64 3000 bundle for £128.
    I'd like a couple of sticks of 512 memory, probably Crucial for about £60
    I'm just stuck for a graphics card now. The PCI Express cards seem to be more expensive than their AGP counterparts. I'm looking around £60 for graphics.
    I'm not a serious gamesplayer or a dedicated overclocker. I prefer a quiet, stable rig.

Thanks

Crypto :D