Looking for a new game.

edited February 2004 in Gaming
So I've finished Half Life: Opposing Force today. Originally I started playing it while waiting for Half Life 2, but it seems it wont be out till November at the earliest. Because of this, I now have a void to fill in my shelf of games for the time being.

Here's what I've looked at so far:

Homeworld 2: Looks fun, great story. Problem is, I suck at RTS games. I never could get past level 5 in Homeworld, and from what I've read, this game isn't much different in the difficulty factor.

Chrome: Played the demo, it's ok (although I cant seem to kill the sniper in the tower before he kills me). It's difficult for me to take the guy who played Duke in Duke Nukem 3D seriously. I keep expecting him to belt out "Hail to the king, baby!" after I kill someone... :rolleyes2

That’s about it so far. I could go out and pick up Half Life: Blue Shift, although I'd like to take a break from the Half Life saga for a bit. Besides, it's going to come out on Steam, where I will be able to play it for free (as I did with OP4).

I'm interested in an FPS. I've never liked RPGs, and I'm terrible at strategy. I want to get better, but the problem is that I always do well for a while (same with me and StarCraft) and just get stuck. I don’t mind a challenge at all, but getting stuck is frustrating, especially when you forked over $30+ for the game. :banghead:

Could someone help me? I don’t want to burn myself out on Half Life until after HL2 comes out.

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Battlefield 1942 w/ Desert Combat :D
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Good luck getting DC, been trying to get it for a while, and all these downloading places are forcing you to register, download special software to DL(spyware and shiit), wait in a VERY long line, etc...

Pissing me off REALLY bad.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2003
  • edited September 2003
    I played the demo of 1942 a while back, but never really understood what the hell was going on. I have a friend with it, so perhaps he'll let me borrow the disks for the day.

I want Half Life 2 now!
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    You have Raven Shield yet? Really good game, but for some reason I find it a bit difficult. You'd think they'd program Teammate AI to WATCH THE DOORS........ :grumble:
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    All Rainbow Six games are only worth the multiplayer. It simply pwns play co-op, a mission or even with teams. The single player simply sucks. The enemy AI is a damn expert sharpshooter. One shot, one kill in the head and you didn't even see the gun raise. Your teams AI also sucks. Best example would be you order them to open a door throw a flash bang and clear it. The open the door, all of them in the middle, throws the flash bang, they all go blind and get killed.
  • T-BirDT-BirD Montgomery, AL
    edited September 2003
    Story-based, you're not gonna get much better than Aliens vs Predator 2 (not primal hunt), which should be $20.00 now. Also, No One Lives Forever 2, despite getting numerous Game of the year awards, was a financial disaster (theories about regarding a female lead character) and can be picked up for $15 or $20. It pains me to see awesome games do poorly while crap like Enter the Matrix and Tomb Raider sells millions.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    u can pick up american mcgee's alice...it was an awesome game and itll be like 10 bux by now...black and white is an awesome old game...so is starcraft....u should relive ur favorite old games...also gta:vice city is phenominial
  • stillwatersstillwaters Pittsburgh, USA
    edited September 2003
    Chrome and Aquanox 2 are both really good games :)

I got Chrome yesterday and its really a lot of fun. I shot the sniper earlier today. What i did was i crouched and got closer to the tower and hid behind some rocks and i kept taking shots and hiding...finally he was history. The next part is tough too... you are supposed to climb the tower, take the sniper's gun and cover your counterpart as me makes his way into that main building.

Awesome game :)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    I recently picked Black and White up on the retail market, after it finally dipped below $15. Got it for $13.99 at Best Buy in the bargain bin, it's pretty much all I play right now.

P.S.: Vivendi Universal sends much love.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    MAFIA

game sucks u in and wont let you out. excellent story line and alot of action. :thumbsup:

fc
  • MancabusMancabus Charlottesville, VA
    edited September 2003
    Gotta put in a vote for Postal 2.
    Level load times aside.

There's just something really fun about kicking an elephant in the ass, then running to the bleachers to watch from afar as three elephants rampage and kill everyone in the area, then proceeding to torch the elephants with napalm when they start to attack you. Or how about using a cat as a silencer while shooting child actor Gary Coleman (that little bastard).

Classic, Classic, stuff. Once you beat it, you won't want to play again, except for the elephant thing. Man is that fun.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    ive heard MANY good things about mafia....
  • edited February 2004
    Yeah, I really like Black and White. I didn't think anyone thought it was any good at all.

Something entertaining about throwing burning trees at villages to convert them... :D
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    Enemy Territory is totally free and you won't believe how great this game is. Feels like RTCW advanced. Built on the Q3 engine.
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited February 2004
    evil tigers eating peoples
  • NorgeNorge Sidney, Ohio
    edited February 2004
    I've never played it but Aranyic has Call of Duty and it is pretty sweet looking. A really good WWII FPS that really makes your feel like you're in the war. I mean the things that were going on around the player while in combat were amazing. There were bombers falling form the sky, artillary shells exploding all around, friendly and enemy NPCs going at it, etc. They really put some thought into the single player game. From what I've seen the multiplayer is no slouch either.

Norge
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    Cant go wrong with Call of Duty Or max Payne 2
  • edited February 2004
    I second Battlefield 1942 with Desert Combat.
    I didn't have any problems downloading the latest copy of DC at www.gamershell.com.

KingFish
  • hypermoodhypermood Smyrna, GA New
    edited February 2004
    I just finished Halo and thoroughly enjoyed it. In fact, it is one of the few FPS that I have gone back and replayed at a harder difficulty setting.

If you are into FPS and on a budget, Aliens vs Predator 2 was also very enjoyable as T-BirD pointed out. There were some tense moments that would get your adrenaline pumping in AvP 2.