Black screen after changing resolution

edited December 2005 in Hardware
I changed the display resolution to the default setting 1280-1080, with restarting my PC (XP). After I restarted the computer, a black screen is displayed, and I cannot log in to the computer. I tried starting up computer many times, but the black screen is always displayed after loading XP screen appears. I cannot log in :sad2:
I would deeply appreciate if anyone would give me any ideas to solve the problem,
I am awaiting your generous support!

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    If you have a Graphics Card just unseat the card and than put it back in... it should allow you to go back in. If that does not work. try the MOBO batt. pull it out for 20 sec... and put it back in.

It sounds like your monitor is running a to high of res with the refresh rate set to high. drop the refresh rate than up the res.. if it goes black wait 15 secs and let it reset itself as you have to confirm a sreen resize in XP. if you dont confirm it will reset itself to the previous settings...
  • edited December 2005
    Thank you for your prompt response!
    I was previously working with the 1280-1080 resolution (default) all the time, with no problems; I dropped the resolution to 1080-784 to see the difference, returned to the default resolution, then this black screen problem occured. I wait more than 5 minutes after I start up the computer, but subsequently nothing happens.
    I would profoundly appreciate if anyone would explain/instruct me what the MOBO butt is and how to reset the refresh rate without logging in to the computer.
    I am awaiting your generous assistance!
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited December 2005
    hit f8 repeatly before you see the windows logo then you will get a selection one of the options is enable vga mode (Press enter on that).
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    :) thats where I was going next :)
  • edited December 2005
    Thanks so much for your responses!
    I succeeded to return the resolution to the default, but images are still displayed vaguely, compare to the images I was seeing before. Especially, the indistinctness of the images/letters is perceived when I use MS Word.
    New hardware found icon appears subsequent to restarting my PC, but I cannot install "Base system device" and "SM bus controller". I don't know the right CD or hardware type to install those two softwares. I tried inserting a XP CD, but it didn't work; automatic searching didn't work neither.
    I would truly appreciate if anyone would give me any suggestions to install those softwares.
    I am expecting your generous support!
  • edited December 2005
    I have solved the problem by installing softwares provided on the website of my PC's manufacturer. :)
This discussion has been closed.