SLI setup question

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited December 2005 in Hardware
My understanding of SLI is that I can setup SLI with different GPU's, ex: 6600GT + 6800. But that it will only run the 6800 or whatever card you have in as fast as the slowest one. Is this true?

The reason I ask is becuase the 6800 is so cheap like $10 more than the 6600GT but can be softmod'd and I am thinking I can get one 6800 now and a second later and progressivly upgrade that way. I know my setup wouldn't benefet right now, but when I do get a second 6800 or better then I would have that much more speed.

Say for example I get a 7800GTX(I AM MERELY POSING AN EXAMPLE!!!!) to go SLI with my 6600GT, for now the 7800GTX would run at 6600GT speed, but later on when I get a second 7800GTX or better I'd have a dual 7800GTX setup in theory.

I know the 7800GTX would beat the utter living crap outta a 6600GT setup, but I wanted an extremme example and it doesn't get more extremme than that ;D

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    No this is not true, Yet! at them moment with the 80. xxdrivers will allow you to pair up the same Card like a 6800GT form EVGA and a 6800GT from BFG... they have to be the same series. but not the same card with the same revision! like is use to be!
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    As of now, 2 different gpu's can't be used in SLI. 2 different mfg's of cards have just started to be supported by some companys, but those have to be the same GPU's.