Garrrr need some help

ishiiiishiii Cold lake, AB, CA
edited December 2005 in Hardware
IM building a new pc and cant decide bettwen cpu's
Should i get a AMD Athlon 64 4000+ w/ 1MB Cache or AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ w/ 2x512K Cache ???
They are essentially the same price.
I know the 4000+ beats out the x2 3800+ in gaming benchmarks, but the x2 3800+ provides a more stable lag free computing experiance (windows vista is coming)
The x2 3800+ overclocks well, and when u take that into account ill get allmost the same gaming experiance as the 4000+.
This is the cpu cooler I have, Zalman CNPS9500 LED Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler. Not the best heatsink, but very cool looking with decent performace for sure.
So guys, the 4000+ or the x2 3800+ and try and oc it to a stable 2.4??

rest of the system specs will be, have half the parts, get the rest next days off which is in two weeks.

case: Lian li PC-V1000B with windowed side panel
mobo: ASUS A8N-SLI (i wanted the ASUS A8N-SLI PREMIUM but I didnt think the heat pipe would like the upside down configuration of the lian li case)
Heatsink: Zalman CNPS9500
power supply:Ultra X-Finity 600-Watt ATX Dual 80mm Fan SATA-Ready SLI Ready Titanium Power Supply
ram: OCZ 2GB PC3200 Platinum Edition Dual Channel DDR Kit (2 x 1024MB)
vid card: BFG Geforce 7800 GT OC 256MB PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, VIVO (one to start with, but ill be adding a second one within 6 months)

Comments

• ishiiiishiii Cold lake, AB, CA
    edited December 2005
    anyone?
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited December 2005
    Nice system specs! should be an awesome gaming rig..

For most games, the dual core will not benefit a lot, but it is inevitably going that way. I can guarantee you that popular new games will be threaded for these kinds of chips. I'd recommend the dual core if you plan on keeping this configuration for a while.

Also, I'm not sure if you guys can get the 939 opterons in Korea, but the dual core 165/170 opterons are competitively priced and include 1MBx2 L2 cache on all models. I think you are pretty much guaranteed a 2.4GHz OC on all AMD dual core chips, so that might be a good way to go.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    yeah ishii I'd choose the 3800+ at least if not the 165 opteron.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2005
    Here's another vote for the dual-core CPU. It gives you more flexibility in the short-term, and once the software catches up to the processor you'll have the capability to do things you wouldn't otherwise be able to do.
  • ishiiiishiii Cold lake, AB, CA
    edited December 2005
    ty ty and ty