Dead MOBO? Not even a "Hello" Beep!

Jeff34BuffJeff34Buff Lakewood, CO
edited December 2005 in Hardware
I can't get my ASUS P5GD1 to POST. Actually, I can't get it to do anything. It worked fine for months, then suddenly - nothing. Over the past few weeks I've stripped all the components off it leaving only the PS, MOBO, Processor (W/fan), and 1 stick of trusted 512 RAM.

On power connection the green LED lights up. On power on the lighted cpu fan runs - but no beeps - nothing.

Do I need to attach more components to troubleshoot properly? The monitor & keyboard were the last to go (at the advice of an ASUS tech). He suggested that it may be the processor Intel 3.0G 775. As the MOBO is out of warranty I think I've hit a dead end.

Any suggestions? Could it be the processor? If I have to buy a MOBO and CPU I will, but both going dead at the same time seems unlikely, but I can't think of a way to determine the facts.

Somehow I think I'm bein punished for my switch from AMD to Intel & I'd rather not invest in any more Intel 775 products (new mobo or CPU if I'm going to end up replacing both).

Maybe I'm just beat & should quit on the combo I have.

Any advice is greatly appreciated,

Jeff :scratch:

Comments

• ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited December 2005
    its one or the other, the motherboard or the CPU. those are the only things ive ever heard that will do what your describing, most likley the motherboard is the suspect
  • Jeff34BuffJeff34Buff Lakewood, CO
    edited December 2005
    I tend to agree with that because I've lost 2-3 MOBO's, but I've never seen a processor go bad. But I'm choking on the prospect of investing in another 775 MOBO because it (might) work with the chip.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2005
    Try resetting the BIOS. If that doesn't work your best option may be to take it to a repair shop and ask for a diagnosis only. Some places will charge a reasonable flat rate to pop your CPU in a good MB, or try a good CPU in your own MB. I would get the PSU checked out as well.

Good luck. :)