Did i corrupt my registry?

indigoflow_asindigoflow_as Westerville, OH
edited December 2005 in Hardware
after installing a new game and causing a crippling stutter because i was probably asking too much of my computer, i can no longer get into windows.

upon rebooting, windows did a scan and check of my system partition and said it repaired some things. i rebooted once again, got to the windows login, click my name...the system hiccups and returns to the login...rinse and repeat, i can get no further.

i am in the recovery console right now, doing a "chkdsk /p /r" command (first thing that google suggested)...is this even appropriate? what else should i do? or should i just reinstall windows on this partition?

AND if i do reinstall, will my second (main) partiton accept the new install like it was nothing?

enlighten me :)

PS: im gonna leave the C:\WINDOWS> command up till someone suggests anything.

Comments

• QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited December 2005
    after installing a new game and causing a crippling stutter because i was probably asking too much of my computer, i can no longer get into windows.

upon rebooting, windows did a scan and check of my system partition and said it repaired some things. i rebooted once again, got to the windows login, click my name...the system hiccups and returns to the login...rinse and repeat, i can get no further.

i am in the recovery console right now, doing a "chkdsk /p /r" command (first thing that google suggested)...is this even appropriate? what else should i do? or should i just reinstall windows on this partition?

AND if i do reinstall, will my second (main) partiton accept the new install like it was nothing?

enlighten me :)

PS: im gonna leave the C:\WINDOWS> command up till someone suggests anything.

Can you get into Safe Mode without a problem? Press F8 right after POST- it should give you a menu. Select Safe Mode (no network). I suspect you have a power supply failing. Newer games have a tendency to expose or trigger these failures by pushing the video card. If you can get into Safe Mode, this may be a good (but not conclusive) indication of a clipping power supply since Safe Mode uses only a little power to drive the display.

I would recommend seeing if you can get a PSU of greater rating- especially on the +12V rail- anyhow, and see if that doesn't help stabilize your system

As far as your other issues, clipping power supplies have caused me a bit of misery because they can do some secondary damage. I would suggest running Memtest NO MATTER WHAT.

Get it Here- and follow the directions at the site.

Once you've done these checks or need help with them, come back and let us know- especially if you can't recover your system.

Hope that helps :thumbsup: