Opty 175?

airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
edited December 2005 in Hardware
m kay.. so I am seriously thinking of buying a socket 939 opteron 175. which has dual 2.2gig cores.

A few things i am wanting to know, is there gonna be a price break on these things anythime soon, and how much longer can they be expected to be in the market before the giants (dell) suck them all up?

Also, how much of an overclock have people been getting out of these? and can i continue to expect it with later steppings. or is amd fixing the "free" 400-600 extra mhz that people have been pumping out of these on air?

I want to be sure because for $461, this will be the most expensive processor i've ever bought, and I want to be able to get it at its prime, and not get ripped.

edit//wow, im stupid, ive been spelling opteron - operton...if feel like a dip**** :shakehead

Comments

• airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    comeon..someone?
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited December 2005
    I assume by price break you mean is the price going to come down any time soon? I seriously doubt it, the price of those chips has risen steeply since their introduction, many people think this is because they were effectively competing against the Athlon64 line. As for how long they'll be in the retail channel rumours abound at the moment that AMD is going to pull opterons from retail altogether, only aloowing them to be sold to systems integrators like Dell. I haven't seen any confirmation of this but it seems fairly sensible to stop them eating away at A64 sales. From what I've read the newer steppings don't clock as well as the earlier ones, but you can still expect to get 2.7 or so out of them. someone (csimon I think) has an opteron thread running in the 'general hardware discussion' forum, you might want to have a look in there.

Also, something that's really bugging me, the "your" in your sig should be "you're".
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    I think this is the thread you're referring to which is muddocktors ..."Opteron 170 Experiment". I think we should be hearing from him today and throughout the week on his experiences since he's due for a crew change.

The short of it is ...with the steppings of 170's & 175's we've been getting we're not expecting to get more than 2.5-2.6 out of the box (otb) with retail hsf which is wonderful. What I've been reading is that one of the core's isn't clocking as well as the other otb so ppl are resorting to things like removing the IHS and superpi stressing to get better overclocks and it seems rather successful. However removing the IHS voids the warranty and exposes the die to chipping so I don't recommend it.

AFAIK there isn't any means of stressing a select core ...and typically the faster core has been the one w/ the os and is the default core. So if you try to stress only one core chances are it will be the faster core. There isn't anything wrong with stressing both cores.

So for my build I plan to oc to 2.5-2.6 for the first couple of days to a week or so and stress the cores with two instances of F@h. Once I've worked out all of the air bubbles in my w/c unit and the thermal paste has had time to settle I will begin to move upward as high as I can within reason. I would be extatic if I could reach 2.7-2.8 really and anything beyond that is "langniape".

At any rate ...when it comes to overclocking there is never a guarantee that the cpu you buy will oc at all ...it's just a risk we take. All I know is that this 175 is going to fold 24/7 and it is going to fold well! I also do CAD work and some gaming and there are a few other things I'd like to venture into.

Also ...the prices of the FX-55's should be dropping soon and I would bet that they will achieve a good overclock! :thumbsup:

As far as for Dell using AMD ...the day they do I will have to turn in a few points for seti! ;D
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    deicist wrote:
    Also, something that's really bugging me, the "your" in your sig should be "you're".
    sorry, haven't ever payed much attention to it. consider it fixed.

The thing i dont get is why amd would want to pull the opterons from the retail market? If their sales are up, I'd leave them shoot, more money in their pockets. ;D